Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Colorado > Denver
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-04-2010, 03:45 PM  

Franktown, CO, Colorado
Great Drives Around Denver (well in the Mountains)

Reading and talking about some "Denver" things on this board made me wonder about some great places to drive or ride, scenic and fun, not too far- that can be done in a day or less.

I'll start with:
Fourth of July Road - one way, generally a fair amount of traffic after it opens in July, but totally worth doing.

Rocky Mountain National Park - great place to do a loop and come back a different way, although it's currently under construction and not as nice a drive.

Evergreen and back - just one of many decent small town shopping venues that aren't ski-related, and have a nice drive up to them.

Garden Of the Gods - this is more the Springs, but it's a great place to drive through, on top of hiking and rock climbing.

The one drive I wouldn't recommend is Pikes Peak, even if it was free it would be a "meh" experience. So where else is a good scenic drive for near Denver?

Old 10-04-2010, 04:42 PM  

Denver, CO
Mount Evans from Idaho Springs to Evergreen - the top is closed already for the season, but it's a great 14er to drive up.

Also, Lookout Mt. in Golden and 'Oh My God' road in Idaho Springs.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:45 PM  

Silverthorne, CO
Loveland Pass is a great high elevation drive
Old 10-05-2010, 03:23 PM  

Lakewood, Colorado
Kingston Peak was a great place to visit. It was less of a mountain drive, and more of an off road adventure, but not too difficult for any SUV.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:30 AM  

Denver, Colorado
A great little drive is to drive lookout Mtn from the 19th St & 6th Ave entrance. It will take you all the way to the other side of the Mtn and drop you right befor evergreen. Great drive.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:27 PM  

Lakewood, Colorado
if you have 4wheel drive we like going to Barbour Fork in Idaho Springs. Fun little trail.
here is the link. Trail Damage also shows how hard the trail is anything from little dirt roads you can take your grandma's car on to high end 4x4 madness!!
TrailDamage.com - Barbour Fork
Old 10-07-2010, 11:26 PM  

Longmont, CO
I like the trails and dirt passes too, but a "great drive" is Independence Pass between Aspen and ~Leadville. The most scenic time has passed by a few weeks, but a great road anyway, until it closes for the winter.

Also, I like Cottonwood Pass. Paved on the East side, dirt on the West side, IIRC.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:17 AM  

denver, co
The great Sand Dunes is a really cool drive. If you want there is Madeso Pass which is a good 4x4 trail and takes you right along side the dunes themselves and into the mountains.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:58 AM  
QFT

Denver, CO
If you're just looking to stay on paved stuff, the Peak to Peak is great. Going from I-70 to Nederland to Boulder is really nice.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:01 PM  
JAFO

Confusion, oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by QFT View Post
If you're just looking to stay on paved stuff, the Peak to Peak is great. Going from I-70 to Nederland to Boulder is really nice.
Just spent a couple of days driving the Peak to Peak and stayed in Estes Park..
It is a great drive.. on the Motorcycle, Jeep or in a Car.. it is great...
Perfect time of year for it..

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Colorado > Denver
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.