Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-31-2011, 07:11 AM  

Detroit, MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveSirRobin View Post
That's kind of what I was thinking too. I understand that there is going to be crime living in Detroit, but there is going to be crime no matter what big city you go to. It's not like I'm going to be walking through Mt. Palmer by myself at night. Oddly enough, only one neighborhood in Detroit was named to the "25 Most Dangerous Neighborhoods" and it came in 23rd. Chicago had the most of any city with 4.

25 Most Dangerous Neighborhoods (Photos)-- WalletPop

My fiance and I are looking at either Corktown or somewhere along the Woodward corridor near Comerica. Both of those places seem to have a lot going on in terms of bars and restaurants and seem like pretty save places. I think I'd prefer to be near Woodward just because having the People Mover nearby would be really convenient, but looking at the costs of apartments we'd be paying a bit more to be there.
That most dangerous neighborhoods link is interesting. Of course, I think most people would tell you not to move into the Mt.Elliot/Palmer area even before reading that!

The people mover makes a loop around downtown and doesn't just stay on Woodward, so you don't have to live right off Woodward to be near a stop. I think anywhere south of Comerica would be well-populated and convenient. North of Comerica gets a little sparse until you hit Mack/MLK. And of course, if they ever get this light-rail line off the ground (figuratively speaking), you'll have good public transit all the way up to 8 mile. Good luck with the move!

Old 02-06-2011, 07:53 PM  
New-Age Curmudgeon

Michigan
If you want to live somewhere near lots of nightlife options but safer, Birmingham and Royal Oak are good choices, but pricey.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:43 PM  

Generally speaking of southeast Michigan, if you live within 45 minutes of Detroit your from Detroit in the eyes of others.

Not that I'm up on everybody who works in Detroit, but it appears that most people who work there do not live there. As long as this continues to happen, Detroit will continue going down hill (not that it can go much more).
Poverty, lack of education, drugs, crime = no moving forward.

It seems to me that the only people who are all for "saving Detroit" don't happen to live there. They just like to say it. While the people who do live there are just happy to get their hit of heroin when they wake up.

"Leading a horse to water" has been going on for a while now, and it obviously doesn't work. Sure, a couple buildings are nice in Detroit, but as a whole, it's trash.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:10 PM  

I am thinking about moving into Detroit too. I am 23 and work in the heart of downtown. Check out both Palmer Woods and Indian Village. They're both still quite nice. I just bought a house in Ann Arbor so I am little bit hesitant to move within a year, but a 6,000 square foot house for around $300,000. Wow!
Old 02-22-2011, 06:00 PM  

Detroit, MI
Live in the suburbs. You don't want to live in the city. People just steal your stuff there. It's frustrating...
Old 02-22-2011, 06:33 PM  

Hughsonville, NY
I used to travel to Detroit Metro Airport and then headed North in a Rental car to Troy for Business. I always made an effort to visit the Ford Museum, it was cool to see the cars on display.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:31 PM  

OK, interesting posts. The strange thing is that almost all of the negatives are from folks who don't live in the city.
I grew up in Oakland CA and lived the last 20 years in San Francisco and moved about four months ago to Detroit because, well it's a long story. The point is that Detroit has all the problems of a major city. They are not particularly worse than most other big cities but it looks a bit like Berlin after WWII. There are a LOT of abandoned buildings and that looks scary but it's not as bad as it looks.

There is also a lot of paranoia and not to raise the race card but Detroit is like 70% black and I think that freaks out a lot of people. I am white but have lived in a lot of black neighborhoods so it doesn't phase me. I don't think it's "racist" per-say but being in a place dominated by a culture your not familiar with and don't know the rules of is a bit scary. So for many I think there is a bit of a "I must be in a bad neighborhood" reaction. The reality is that people connect a lot more by "class" for lack of a better word, and while there is a lot of unemployment in detroit there is also a big "artist class" and a "middle class" and a lot of folks heading in because all though taxes are high (for around here) property is dirt cheap. You can buy a house (that needs work admittedly) in an active and moving in a good direction neighborhood for under $50. Depending on how much work you are willing to do I have seen houses go for under $10K. And that isn't in a "dangerous" neighborhood. But peoples definition of what "dangerous' is vary so... I lived in a "good" neighborhood in SF and a father and his sons were stopped and gunned down three blocks away because some cruising gang members though they were somebody else.

You have to like living in a BIG city to enjoy Detroit. But if that is you then it's a GREAT place to be. There is a ton of arts and music, good places to eat, a HUGE farmers market, you can get $20 tickets to the Symphony. There is a very active arts scene and a lot of young folks who seem to have taken on Detroit as a project.

As far a families go. That is tougher. The schools are in seriously bad shape. However there are a bunch of folks raising kids so it can be done. You may want to check out SWEETJUNIPER.com for some kid friendly info.

There is basically no public transportation so that is an issue but biking is pretty easy except in Winter.

Traditionally the weather is about the same as Manhattan. BUT they have had a couple of COLD winters in a row and last summer was hot and this one is setting records so... Either it's a blip and will change back or it's a direction and you should plan for it. Looking back they have had these kinds of blips in the 50's and in the 20's so here's hoping. Even so I spent a week (with out real heat) here in Dec. and have been here through this (Hottest July on record) and I came from a place where the humidity is 37% 99% of the time and anything over 70 is a heat wave and colder tan 40 is "freezing" and I'm not running for safety.

Welcome and if you want to stop by for a homebrew drop me a line.
scott@askinc.net
Old 08-27-2011, 07:38 AM  

Look out for Taylor, Michigan. They have increased their city budget for fines in 2011 to 10% of revenues from 6% collected in 2010. I paid a huge fine, victim of egregious enforcement of a right turn on red where the sign did not meet the standards required by Michigan state law. This practice is not nice to visitors or new residents who don't know the area.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.