I grew up all over the Metro Detroit area and have spent lots of time downtown, both for work and play. There's a ton of stuff to do. It's a great city.
Go to a Museum:
- Science Center
- Institute of Art
- Lots of other smaller places
- Motor City
- MGM Grand
Go to a game: The Tigers, Red Wings, and Lions all play downtown.
Drink some awesome Michigan Beer: There are breweries downtown that are very good, and several just outside of the city that are worth the short drive.
- Atwater Block (Downtown)
- Motown (Downtown)
- Traffic Jam (Downtown)
- Detroit Beer Company (Downtown)
- Kuhnhenn (Warren)
- Dragonmead (Warren)
- Woodward Avenue Brewers (WAB) (Ferndale)
- Royal Oak Brewery (Royal Oak)
That list is just a start. There a lots more around as well. Check out the Michigan Brewers Guild Website for a more comprehensive list:
Michigan Brewers Guild
Eat: There are a lot a GREAT restaurants downtown. These are just a few:
- Slow's BBQ (this place is AMAZING - if you do nothing else, eat here)
- Sweet Lorraine's
- Detroit's Breakfast House & Grill (on Woodward)
- Most of the brewpubs I listed above serve great food as well.
And there's a lot more to do than just that. Those are only a few ideas. I moved to Chicago a couple of years ago and I still miss Detroit. It's a great city with lots to do.