Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2010, 12:48 PM  

Washington, Michigan
Michigan is really three states in one:
1. The Upper Peninsula
2. The Lower Peninsula, excluding the South east corner.
3. The south east corner (Metropolitan Detroit)

Old 12-07-2010, 01:05 PM  

Detroit, Michigan
the museum district is amazing along with some world class breweries

Old 12-08-2010, 03:14 PM  

chesterfield, MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper111 View Post
dodge bullets :-)
hahaha! Yeah. Keep your head down as you get out!
Old 12-12-2010, 07:07 AM  

Chicago, IL
I grew up all over the Metro Detroit area and have spent lots of time downtown, both for work and play. There's a ton of stuff to do. It's a great city.

Go to a Museum:
- Science Center
- Institute of Art
- Lots of other smaller places

Gamble:
- Motor City
- Greektown
- MGM Grand

Go to a game: The Tigers, Red Wings, and Lions all play downtown.

Drink some awesome Michigan Beer: There are breweries downtown that are very good, and several just outside of the city that are worth the short drive.
- Atwater Block (Downtown)
- Motown (Downtown)
- Traffic Jam (Downtown)
- Detroit Beer Company (Downtown)
- Kuhnhenn (Warren)
- Dragonmead (Warren)
- Woodward Avenue Brewers (WAB) (Ferndale)
- Royal Oak Brewery (Royal Oak)
That list is just a start. There a lots more around as well. Check out the Michigan Brewers Guild Website for a more comprehensive list:
Michigan Brewers Guild

Eat: There are a lot a GREAT restaurants downtown. These are just a few:
- Slow's BBQ (this place is AMAZING - if you do nothing else, eat here)
- Sweet Lorraine's
- Detroit's Breakfast House & Grill (on Woodward)
- Most of the brewpubs I listed above serve great food as well.

And there's a lot more to do than just that. Those are only a few ideas. I moved to Chicago a couple of years ago and I still miss Detroit. It's a great city with lots to do.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:31 AM  
nit

I preffer royal oak which is north of detroit. There is a comedy club in royal oak called the Comedy Castle Real fun place to go with a bunch of friends.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:52 AM  

Detroit, Michigan
Detroit has a surprisingly healthy night life from just north of the Grand Circus Park area (Fox Town) down to the river, and in east and west wedges; east of there to Greektown, and west of there to Cobo. Then there are other areas like Mexican Town, Wayne State, and Cork Town, where you find a pocket of going concerns. The sad news is that there is actually real decay between those areas. The happy news is that those areas, are at least holding their own, and some seem to be growing.

The Detroit Metro Area is indeed larger than just the city of Detroit, though. As mentioned, Ferndale (my city) and Royal Oak lie just across 8 Mile to the North along the Woodward Avenue corridor. These are cities whose nightlife is more energetic than their size would suggest. Royal Oak has a couple fantastic Breweries. Royal Oak Brewery has been mentioned. I would also suggest Bastogne as well.

It is one of my favorite places largely because it is one of the very few micro-breweries that spends real effort to craft a full-flavored, properly hopped, true pilsener. This is not a 'blonde' or Budweiser analog that they have on tap for those who've been dragged kicking and screaming to a micro-brewery. It is actually tasty. They also have delicious belgian food, and an excellent wine selection, as they are also attached to Vinotecca, a wine bar.

Look at that. I went off on a tangent thinking about how enjoyable that place is. There are hundreds of places like that all over the metro area that will inspire the same excitement in people who have been there. Don't get me started on the Dakota Inn! Burglar is right about there being plenty of gems in the city. Also about needing a car. Or at least a fat wad of cash for cabs (they're pricey here).
Old 12-27-2010, 01:54 PM  

Go to the Henry Ford Museum. Technically not in Detroit but just west in Dearborn.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:47 AM  

Detroit, Michigan
DIA - very interesting
Old 12-29-2010, 08:39 AM  

Kalamazoo, MI
We like to spend weekends in the D...
Usually start with catching a Wings game (Joe Louis).
Catch a concert at the Fillmore.
Stay in a hotel downtown- I like the Westin Book Cadillac... VERY nice.
Take the people mover over to Greektown for some good Greek food and gambling..
The Detroit Science center has some good exhibits... and we are planning a trip to Henry Ford when the weather improves.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:40 PM  

Afghanistan, MI
Blue

Club Blue used to be a really awesome techno bar/club. I heard they lost their liquore license a couple years back. I wonder if they have opened back up. I'll have to check it out when i get back from Afghanistan!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Bookmark this Page!