Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > District of Columbia
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-25-2010, 12:07 PM  

Dallas
Questions about DC

My wife just graduated, and was offered a job in DC. She was told that they could fly her up there, and let her work for a while and see how it suits her, while she's doing her internship, but ultimately we would have to move. First question is, I have heard horrible things about DC. Especially the suburbs. Second what's the general attitude. I'm in Dallas, and Texas is just friendly. Is DC the same way? Everyone I have talked to says it's a great place to visit, but not a great place to live. Do any of you find that true?

Old 09-22-2010, 01:57 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
I've been to DC a few times, although I've never lived there before.

Simply put, it's definitely going to be way different than what you're used to down in Texas.

Do I think DC is horrible? Absolutely not. But, just by the general feel of the city, I don't think you're going to find it quite as inviting as, say, Dallas. However, realistically, there's not many places in the US that are more friendly than the Texas/Kansas areas.

Some people love it, and other people don't. It kinda also depends on if you've lived in a big city outside of the Midwest before.

Texas is a whole different animal, as far as US states go.

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 09-22-2010, 09:49 PM  

Westminster, MD
Well... a tremendous number of folks who WORK in DC don't LIVE there. It not gonna be as laid back as Texas; I live in MD and sometimes work in DC, and I've visited Texas several times.

DC CAN be a great place to work, especially if it's government related but not tied to a particular political party. Pretty sure the size of government isn't shrinking any time soon. And Maryland and some parts of northern Virginia are really pretty nice.

Like anywhere, some neighborhoods are better than others.

Unlike a lot of cities though, there is some great public transportation ways to work in DC yet live elsewhere, which can be desireable for a variety of reasons, not least of which is traffic. DC and northern VA traffic is REALLY REALLY bad... but if she's lucky enough to work close to public transportation, living even 30 or 40 mioles away doesn't have to be a burden. If you're in IT... this area really is pretty much the center of the world.

Oh yeah... DC is also a place with a VERY high cost of living. Sure you'll get paid better, but check out housing costs before you give much thought to it, and negotiate some housing compensation with that internship.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:29 AM  

Virginia Beach, Va
There is a VERY high cost of living in DC. It is hectic and busy just as any other city center place. I lived and worked in Bethesda MD, for 2 years. If you get used to using the metro as your transportation you will be good. Driving anywhere is a mess in the actual city lol....
Old 09-27-2010, 02:20 PM  

Portsmouth, VA
I'd visit but I'm not interested in leaving my Constitutional rights on this side of the VA line.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:25 PM  
JCJ
RENT-a-MOD

Webster, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boodyrider View Post
Well... a tremendous number of folks who WORK in DC don't LIVE there. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin108 View Post
I'd visit but I'm not interested in leaving my Constitutional rights on this side of the VA line.

QFT,

Look in Virginia or Maryland, plenty of nice places to live away from the scum.. I use to hangout with a bunch of guys from a VFD in Springfield, Virginia many of them worked in DC for the Feds. Really nice area and close enough for an easy commute.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:45 PM  

Washington DC, Virginia
I moved to the area a little more than 2 years ago for (as most people) a government job. I came from Florida which I will always miss because I grew up there.

So far I love DC. I live in Alexandria, VA just outside DC and have easy access to the metro system. The activities in the area are endless. I have played coed Kickball, volleyball, and Bocce Ball. There are a lot more social sports to choose from. It is a great city for networking and getting experience especially if you are between the ages of say 23-40. I enjoy going to the galleries and attending events that are always happening.

Plus you never know who you will run into. I was walking next to the capitol from Union Station and there was Bob Dole and his wife shaking hands and taking pictures with anyone that walked by on a chilly November day. Another time in Old Town VA with my parents visiting they closed off the street and sidewalk and the First Lady jumps into an especially armored suburban.

Cost of living is high but the pay compensates for it and the farther you are away from the city the lower the cost. Northern VA is nice so is MD in the Bethesda area. I have not lived IN the city because I need space for my Jeep but don't discredit until you have been there.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:03 PM  

Stafford, Virginia
You would really want to live down in Stafford or Fredericksburg to work in DC. Stafford is about 40 miles south. Traffic is HELL to put it nice. Stafford has great schools ( I should know I work for them). People are not as nice as texas i can say that much well some are but not behind the wheel commuting you ahve three options. Drive yourself, SLUG it, or take the VRE to the METRO. Plenty of things to do in this area esp when you first get here TONS AND TONS of HISTORY. DC has plenty to fill your weekends for a long time. Beaches in both Maryland and VA are not that far.

Oh and VA has great gun laws if you own firearms.

Right now the housing market is flooded with homes for sale. Most in the $250+ range for a decent 3 or 4 bedroom 2.5 bath 2 car garage. You also have Townhomes as well that are slightly cheaper.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:48 PM  
Tea Party Liberal

Mesa, Az
Wash DC: either one loves it or hates it. The rest of you summed it up quite nicely.

I am a native from there (born and raised) and left there in the late 1970's. Although in defense of the place; by far the #1 reason I split was due to the '4 season' climate------I hate cold.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:16 AM  
mbj
I is the laws

Martinsburg, West Virginia
lived in Alexandria Va for a number of years and I loved it. Moved out to raise a family and take a job. Now live in Martinsburg, WV. There are a fair number of folks that live here and commute either by rail or car to work in DC. I wouldn't do the car thing, that's just insane in my opinion, but I would consider MARC if the right opportunity came up

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > District of Columbia
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.