Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Education
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-31-2011, 11:55 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
How did you decide what to study?

My interests are all over the place. Right now, I've got one degree in Korean linguistics and within a year I'll finish my business degree. Problem is, I still haven't found that 'one thing' that I just love learning about.

How did you guys decide on your degrees/ tech schools?

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 09-01-2011, 04:51 AM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
I always liked physical geography in high school, probably because I like being outdoors and knowing something about the planet I live on, so I eventually ended up drifting into Geography in university.

That only lasted one semester before I figured out that job prospects were slim and that it involved a lot of courses that bored me to tears. That's when I decided to go hard core and switched into Geology.

Ironically, I now work at a desk in aviation and quite enjoy it, but will never regret getting my Geology degree.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:03 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Id love to study that. I guess I'm just scared to put all my eggs in one basket. Afraid of commitment I guess?

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 09-01-2011, 01:49 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake7 View Post
I still haven't found that 'one thing' that I just love learning about.
You already know how to find what you need, just keep looking.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:52 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
but will never regret getting my Geology degree.
Could you point me at material on glacial grinding of rocks? Also anything on obsidian fields would be useful.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:21 PM  
ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɯnɹoɟ

VA
Ive always had a knack and love/hate relationship with computers. Life just presented me with opportunities that were too good to pass up, and almost seemed like 'my destiny'.

Thankfully it has landed me the wonderful employment I have today.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:49 PM  
Supporting Member

San Jose, CA
You're going hate this, but for me it was dumb luck.

I had no idea that I liked chemistry, I even flunked out of it in high school, so I was more surprised than anyone to learn in college that I not only liked it, but LOVED it. It came down to equal parts subject matter and instructor. My high school chem teacher did nothing to get us interested and my grades showed, but my college professor presented it such that I could see the beauty of the subject.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:14 PM  
What page are you on?

in a van... down by the river, Texas
I took Photography as a 'blow off' class in High School. I fell in love. The rest is history.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:31 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake7 View Post
Id love to study that. I guess I'm just scared to put all my eggs in one basket. Afraid of commitment I guess?
Nothing wrong with a little commitment. It doesn't mean you're stuck with what you study for the rest of your life. We're all lucky here in NA because we have so many options when it comes to changing direction in mid-stream if we so choose.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:42 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
Could you point me at material on glacial grinding of rocks? Also anything on obsidian fields would be useful.
I probably can but I'm not sure about what kind of material you're looking for. Do you want general internet pics and stuff, or serious textbooks or scientific papers or what?

Let me know what aspect of glacial erosion you're interested in and I'll fix you up? Just general stuff or are you looking for something specific. Same goes for the lava fields, what do you want to know?

Both are pretty broad topics so you need to narrow your focus a little man, unless you're just looking for entertainment along the lines of Seduction leads to Orogeney

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Education
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.