Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Education
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-01-2011, 03:56 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britney View Post
I took Photography as a 'blow off' class in High School. I fell in love. The rest is history.
So post something up in the pic of the month contest

Old 09-01-2011, 07:55 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiponredTJ

Nothing wrong with a little commitment. It doesn't mean you're stuck with what you study for the rest of your life. We're all lucky here in NA because we have so many options when it comes to changing direction in mid-stream if we so choose.
I agree. We are so lucky! I've always loved education, and always have a class or two going. Lucky for me, the Corps picks up the bill most of the time!

Maybe it's more the prospect of picking a career path. Im not a lifer in the corps. So I'm a year and a half out from my eas, and time to start thinking where I want to go and what I want to do.

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 09-02-2011, 08:42 AM  
fustrated genius

I went into an unemployment office and took an ability test. They told me I'ld best be a grease monkey, swinging from my tail beating things with a hammer and spinning tornillos with a wrench so I signed up for the mechanical/machine tool program.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:49 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
We're all lucky here in NA because we have so many options when it comes to changing direction in mid-stream if we so choose.
Somehow I liked it better when it spoke more of opportunity and less of the future of job markets.

I'm also livid over these half baked tech schools that deliver more profit than education. You can't get an education in six months.
I'd like to see apprenticeships re-emerge as options. I'd love to work with a cabinetry carpenter, a glassblower and a potter. I'm adding those to welding and large format photography.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:54 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiponredTJ View Post
I probably can but I'm not sure about what kind of material you're looking for. Do you want general internet pics and stuff, or serious textbooks or scientific papers or what?

Let me know what aspect of glacial erosion you're interested in and I'll fix you up? Just general stuff or are you looking for something specific. Same goes for the lava fields, what do you want to know?

Both are pretty broad topics so you need to narrow your focus a little man, unless you're just looking for entertainment along the lines of Seduction leads to Orogeney
I thought it was too broad. I'm just curious as usual so broad is best. I wonder why obsidian exists in some spots near volcanoes but not near all. I'd like to know anything about glacial effects on rock, mountains and continents beyond mere ice sheets.

Other stuff too like what ores are often found near precious metals?
Old 09-02-2011, 01:40 PM  
ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɯnɹoɟ

VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHood View Post
I went into an unemployment office and took an ability test. They told me I'ld best be a grease monkey, swinging from my tail beating things with a hammer and spinning tornillos with a wrench so I signed up for the mechanical/machine tool program.
A buddy of mine runs a very successful shop.

Not to mention, being able to work on your own vehicle = priceless. It was one of the caviats of owning a bug back in the day.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:49 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
It was one of the caviats of owning a bug back in the day.
An old Bug was my first car and the motor looked like a Briggs & Stratton. Sadly no one I knew understood auto mechanics. I've regretted that but no longer. Today some of the least geeky people around diagnose engines with high tech tools and it does nothing for my confidence in their abilities.

I saw one of the first Hondas yesterday. I'd love a peek under the hood.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:34 PM  
fustrated genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporLung View Post
A buddy of mine runs a very successful shop.

Not to mention, being able to work on your own vehicle = priceless. It was one of the caviats of owning a bug back in the day.
I went industrial mechanic, not auto, but yeah, I can beat those with a hammer too. I like my old Willys, no computer, no fancy this or that, just a bare raw honest ta gawd JEEP.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:47 AM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHood

I went industrial mechanic, not auto, but yeah, I can beat those with a hammer too. I like my old Willys, no computer, no fancy this or that, just a bare raw honest ta gawd JEEP.
I'm with ya. The less computers, the better.

77 k5 blazer here.

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 09-04-2011, 07:56 AM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
I thought it was too broad. I'm just curious as usual so broad is best. I wonder why obsidian exists in some spots near volcanoes but not near all. I'd like to know anything about glacial effects on rock, mountains and continents beyond mere ice sheets.

Other stuff too like what ores are often found near precious metals?
Obsidian needs a lava flow that is rich in silica to form. Not all lava flows contain the required amount of silica, thus the lack of obsidian near all volcanos.

Depends which precious metals your talking about, but the common precious metals are usually associated with copper, zinc and lead ores. Gold is closely associated with quartz.

What are you trying to do there Blucher, locate a good place to pan for gold?

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Education
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.