Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Education
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2012, 09:52 PM  

Networking certification

What is the most popular IT certification about networking?I will be graduated next year,so I need to get some certifications to better prepare for my career?Thanks!

Old 11-22-2012, 06:46 PM  

Stafford, Virginia
MCSE

MCSA

A+

Security +

Network+

CCNA

Old 11-24-2012, 08:48 AM  
ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɯnɹoɟ

VA
There is no such thing as a 'most popular' network certification per se'. You should start off with a basic A+, Network+ or other CompTIA certification as they are normally good entry level certs that will help translate to your other more advanced certs.

You need to decide which avenue of the vast IT realm you want to pursue and go from there. Some (general) areas of interest are -

Desktop/Server support - Microsoft and CompTIA certs are good here (like the ones Murdoc mentioned)

Networking/Wireless - Cisco is the industry standard here (CCNA/CCNP/CCIE etc)

Security - CISSP is rather popular, however the GIAC certs/paths tend to get much more finite and subject area driven.

Programming/Database/Application creation/management - I am going to lump these into a generic category as I am not as familiar with this realm. (But it is quite popular amongst some)

Do your homework when trying to determine your overall IT cert path. While it is cool to be a jack of all trades, it tends to pay more when you can do one thing stellar and the rest just awesome

Good luck!
Old 11-24-2012, 04:04 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Being a Ludite, I find that is excellent advice.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Education
Bookmark this Page!