Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Education
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-31-2011, 09:58 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Online Degrees

Anyone here have experience with online schooling? I'm picking up another AA while I'm stationed in Hawaii and have some spare time at this post, and I'd love some good advice from people have been there done that!

Thanks guys!

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 09-16-2011, 09:01 PM  
Carolina Jeep Girl

Charlotte, North Carolina
I have taken a few online classes so far, but not for a strictly online school. I loved my online english classes using the "Blackboard" and "Moodle" applications. English is a lot easier to do online. But I did not fair so well doing part of my math online. They use homework programs and you have to get them all right to get credit and it's complicated when you are trying to enter in different symbols and it's hard to convey through the internet how to work a problem. It just depends on the class really. But if you don't have the time to go into class I think online classes are great! Just make sure you have the time to sit down and do your work and make sure you don't wait til the last minute to do assignments in case their is a problem with the internet or with your program.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:48 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
So I'm owning it. Apparently most people that study online are morons, so it's pretty easy to shine.

Maybe I'm just a cocky jerk, though.

Old 09-24-2011, 01:09 PM  
Carolina Jeep Girl

I'm gonna go with cocky jerk

My English class was super easy to do online
What classes you got?
Old 09-24-2011, 01:21 PM  

Houston, Texas
I didn't think GI Bill would pay for on-line courses. You doing this on your own dime? Make sure they are accredited otherwise the credits they offer mean nothing.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:50 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
I'm active duty, so I'm using Tuition Assistance.

On a side-note, though, the Post-9/11 GI Bill does cover online courses. However, I'm saving that for after I get out of the Corps.

Right now I'm just taking a Personal Development course. It's a pre-req for this particular school. They were 2009 and 2010 DoD GI Bill school of the year, so they're accredited and well-known for working with active duty, reserve, and veterans to help them achieve their scholastic goals. That's one of the big reasons that I chose them.

Old 10-01-2011, 11:04 PM  
Carolina Jeep Girl

Uni of Phoenix does a lot of specialty stuff to help military and their families get degrees.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:15 AM  

Online degrees have been becoming all too common now and I think that it really is beneficial for those who do not have that much time to go to classes physically, most likely because of time constraints and just to be more economical. The problem with them though is that there are those which really do not offer that much level of competency for those who finish courses under their name, which proves not be healthy for the students.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:51 AM  

Houston, Texas
There are situations that an on-line class is the only solution. I'm thinking military personnel in remote locations. Ever try to get a teacher to teach classes on a submarine? Even those are exceptions approved by Dept of Defense and the teachers are from accredited universities.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:41 PM  

I'm seeing this thread a little late but, I wanted to provide some info. Check ou this article: Best Online Colleges - Top 20 Military Friendly Colleges. These schools cover all the bases you want to cover when thinking about college. This article is a quick reference to these military friendly universities and will answer most of the questions a veteran has when applying to schools. Hope this advice helps when you are considering schools.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Education
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads