Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Education
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-22-2011, 10:04 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiponredTJ View Post
I think Norsemen have had their priorities straight right from the start
My "To Do" List has some tweaks I think are overdue.

Example:
A man sails across the North Atlantic to establish a colony in Canada. He goes where another sailor spotted land and establishes that colony complete with families and livestock.

500 years later a second man seeking the riches of India sails to the Bahamas and is disappointed in seeing no Indians but is still certain he's found India (or something)

Second dude gets credited with first man's accomplishments and 600+ years later he's still celebrated as the discoverer of the Americas.

Quote:
Yes. Parents need to step up and stop thinking about their dollars and start nurturing their kids instead. Couldn't agree more.
I've often felt blessed by having 5 pre-TV years to learn to read. I think there were only 4 stations when I left for college.

That alone wasn't a guarantee I'd be reading early but a mother who took the time to teach was a tremendous advantage. Someone needs to structure in reading before kindergarten. A kid is a blank slate at that age and hungry for information.
Why Finland?s schools are great (by doing what we don?t)-leif-erickson-day-.jpg 

Why Finland?s schools are great (by doing what we don?t)-wallace-12-1.jpg 

Old 10-22-2011, 12:25 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
You should read this book before you croak (if you haven't already done so )
Read it I mean.
The history that is taught in schools is a joke, and simply does not take into consideration the facts of life.
Why Finland?s schools are great (by doing what we don?t)-picture-1.jpg 

Old 10-22-2011, 12:37 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Oh yah, and I came to Canada on a boat when I was six. I turned seven on the voyage.

Where we came from did not have any television, at all, and when we got to Montreal, TV was still all black and white. A few months after we got settled, my dad found a second hand Viking TV. We had four channels, 2 English and 2 French, so effectively we had two channels in black and white.

There was a lot of snow with those rabbit ears, but I enjoyed coming home from school at lunch time and watching Iron Man and the Flintstones and Bugs etc while scarfing down some chow before having to head back out for another afternoon of elementary school. But for the most part we read and tried tried to figure out this new language we were immersed in.

So what you say about the importance of reading at an early age is close to my heart and so very true to me. And the love for reading has to come from your parents to give you a headstart in life, before you get sent off to the institutions we call schools.

Old 10-22-2011, 01:53 PM  

Nashville, TN
[QUOTE=RiponredTJ;129522]Where we came from did not have any television, at all, and when we got to Montreal, TV was still all black and white. A few months after we got settled, my dad found a second hand Viking TV. QUOTE]

Wow the Vikings had TV.I did not know that.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:10 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Yes. Viking was a brand name up here in Canada that was probably sold by either The Bay, Eatons or Sears.
Why Finland?s schools are great (by doing what we don?t)-viking.jpg 

Old 10-24-2011, 10:06 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiponredTJ View Post
Yes. Parents need to step up and stop thinking about their dollars and start nurturing their kids instead. Couldn't agree more.
My Daughter's library is almost as large as mine, probably more so in number of books considering how short they are.

I have some books on anatomy ,geography ,and nature she sits in my lap and
"reads" them to me now.

My goal is to have her reading before she goes to school.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Education
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.