Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Florida > Emerald Coast
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2010, 10:47 AM  

Panama City, Florida
Offroad parks in the panhandle

I know of the Offroad park in Chipley off of hwy 77 are there any other decent trail parks around here worth a days drive?
The one I am speaking of is Mobile Swamp and is a great place for taking the family or just going with a few 4x4 friends. They also have a huge mud bogg for the big toys which also alot of fun to watch inbetween trail runs.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:03 PM  

Jacksonville, FL
Eglin AFB covers 724 square miles of the Florida Panhandle. About 50 to 60% of it is open to the public for hunting and other types of recreation. This includes Jeeps! This does NOT include dirt bikes or ATV's. There are literally hundreds of miles of trails. The terrain varies from the typical Florida flat sandy grounds to some fairly decent hills, mud, streams and rocks. All vehicles must be street legal.

Camping: There are 12 primitive campgrounds scattered over the base. There is also a campground with full hookups for anyone qualified to use military facilities. A permit is required.

This is a map of the base. All the green areas are open to the public.

Permits for camping and "recreation" can be obtained by mail. The recreation, or for Jeeping, is $12.00 and is good for 1 year. Camping permits cost $5.00 per night with a 5 consecutive nights limit.

To get a permit by mail:

1. Copy of driver license
2. Phone number
3. Type of permit
4. Check for proper amount payable to...DFAS-IN/FDBB 3801

Send above to:

EGLIN NATURAL RESOURCES
107 HIGHWAY 85 NORTH
NICEVILLE, FL 32578

If you have any questions call Eglin Natural Resources at: (850) 882-4164 or 882-4165

WARNING: If anyone in a group is caught without a permit...EVERYONE will be fined!

Old 12-15-2010, 07:14 PM  

Panama City, Florida
Thanks for that info. It is nice to know of places close by. I have either gone to the place up in Chipley or I hit some trails in the Ecofina Water management area that also requires a permit for some of the trails.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:36 PM  

East of Pensacola, Florida
Eglin isn't too bad but they are pretty tight about the rules. Some of the more interesting trails are no longer available. Pay particular attention to the CLOSED signs... there are active ranges out there and you dont want ordnance dropping on you... or Rangers for that matter.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:14 AM  

Crestview, Florida
I like running the Eglin trails this time of year (Thanksgiving thru March) because they open a lot of the pig trails for hunters. It's true that they've closed a lot of the pits and creek crossings, but we have fun bouncing through the sand trails. If I didn't have kiddos, I would have an enduro/dual-sport motorcycle (all vehicles on Eglin have to be street legal)--seems like that would be a blast.

If ATVs and/or mud-bogging is your thing, try Boggs & Boulders near Andalusia, AL--about 30 minutes north of the AL/FL state line. Plus, there's the Southern Motocross racetrack just east of Crestview if you are into dirtbikes (Southern Motocross Association)
Old 02-03-2011, 02:45 PM  

Another way to be able to get around on Eglin is to purchase a firewood permit. You still need to stay on roads and obey closed areas.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:05 PM  

Panama City, FL
You definately need to call before you go out, sometimes they are doing excercises and have it closed off to the public.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:25 PM  

I have not been to the place, but there is a commercial ORP called Boggs and Boulders near Andalusia, AL. I have talked to people who go there and they like it.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Florida > Emerald Coast
Bookmark this Page!