Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Employment / Jobs
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-20-2011, 06:24 PM  
Traveler

After Teaching--I have a few ideas

One thing I really enjoyed was planning units and making presentations that were hopefully stimulating--I generally included discussions and art projects and some type of writing assignment for follow up.

I taught Language Arts and Social Science--focus areas--as well as everything else 2nd, 4th, 5th and 6th.

I have accumulated--for my own interest--a considerable amount of resources, reference materials about the history of the state of GA--local history and assorted literature related ideas.

I think I will just start writing units---and see where it goes.

I have from time to time participated in meetings/workshops with the Southern Order of Storytellers--not really interested in becoming a professional storyteller--it takes a lot of talent and business acumen. I love the stories of Appalachia and the Coastal areas--a personal interest.

I need to acquire more computer skills and I think I have found a tutor. Not that great with anything but basic computer skills--hopefully I can learn.

I have thought about contacting my alma mater--maybe renewing my certification--go into some special area---if it doesn't require 60 hrs of work---I could do 15. Missed the deadline for fall of course and have to try to get in touch with them--never easy to see what else is possible. Seems like there used to be an exception---who knows now.

I could do other jobs in the meantime---I am on a disability but need to get off---not very much money--last job was retail sales and it isn't enough to do more than buy gas and dog food.

I asked a woman stocking cards about merchandising--that is a possibility---and I like the Carolina Cookie Company---contacted them once--they sell diabetic treats--and I am a diabetic--very nice response from the individual I contacted.

Any other ideas--the thought of having a regular classroom--19 years of that--and the middle school students were obnoxious---one didn't like her grade and had the honor council to lie and say I pushed her down the steps. I was written up on12 violations of Professional Standards in 3 days. I had the choice to resign --incident kept in a closed file or face certificate revocation---the dishonesty really impaired my regard for administrators as well as students and parents. No support---complete disrespect from the day I walked in to replace the first teacher that 'The Little Ones' didn't like. There is no sense in any school operating in that manner--yet they do. And should be featured on the national news--but they aren't.

So any input would be appreciated. fwiw. I am 62---lol---I can still get around and I haven't forgotten much about teaching--impossible to--the way I was trained--you never forget. Plus---I know I am 'better' than quite a few others---they would be lucky to have my experience--lol. It is a fact. It takes a while to acquire that sort of wisdom. From 5 to 18 --you either understand kids or you don't. lol---The size doesn't make that much difference, jmo.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:05 PM  
fustrated genius

Most companies, big, little, try to fire those nearing retirement. That's standard. I wasn't aware schools did it too. How 'bout that, smart as I are already, I still learn sumptin ever day.

Have you tried a curator at a museum, or historical site?

Old 07-21-2011, 04:46 AM  
Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHood View Post
Most companies, big, little, try to fire those nearing retirement. That's standard. I wasn't aware schools did it too. How 'bout that, smart as I are already, I still learn sumptin ever day.

Have you tried a curator at a museum, or historical site?
I'm in the ATL--one of the most over-educated cities or so it seems. Several prestigious universities here--and corporations that can hire 'The Best'--there are however other options--I just gave up.

It wasn't 'age' in my scenario--it was 'racism'--if I have to be blunt. And Savannah is not always welcoming to newcomers---at least that was my experience--I worked with traditional women---one issue was--'Why isn't she married--why did she move here' and other trivial matters that were none of their business. The minister's wife just didn't like me right off the bat. At the first school--the principal, female, 'liked' some people better than others it seemed--I don't know. I just ruffled feathers---a person from Atlanta---there is some animosity toward Atlanta in South Georgia---not entirely unjustified- so my coworkers weren't the supportive kind--like children 'stuck together'---native Savannahians.

Live and learn--anytime you are new to a group---keep a low profile and keep your mouth shut. Best to keep your mouth shut at work always-as far as I am concerned. People---love to find the dirt. Almost all people.

I will acquire better computer skills and see if I can't find a paying job that way---I tried temping for a while---got nervous with all the different technology and got 'yelled' at a lot.

If I can find out what I need to do to renew my certificate --there are PT teaching jobs ---Reading Recovery, etc--I would be good at that.

We'll see.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:37 AM  
fustrated genius

Never been east of Austin Tx., ha ha, but I want to go visit some Civil War battle sites some day though, that would be awesome, before they plow em all up and plant hses & apartments, shopping centers & such. Don't know exactly which is which way over there on the east side.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:22 PM  
Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHood View Post
Never been east of Austin Tx., ha ha, but I want to go visit some Civil War battle sites some day though, that would be awesome, before they plow em all up and plant hses & apartments, shopping centers & such. Don't know exactly which is which way over there on the east side.
You need to head to Marietta and Kennesaw---well-preserved civil war history and a few diehards that will talk about the War at the drop of the hat.
Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park (U.S. National Park Service)

http://www.wildmans-shop.com/

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/9366

http://www.atlantahistorycenter.com/...l+War/104.html

http://www.margaretmitchellhouse.com/

http://www.lat34north.com/HistoricMa...chtree%20Creek

http://www.civilwarmarkers.com/about.htm

You need to start at the Tennessee/GA line--Chickamauga and travel south to Decatur/Atlanta and then follow the March to the Sea all the way to Savannah and the Golden Isles. Stop at the little Mom and Pop stores and someone is certain to share some stories.

Mention 'The Flag'---always a good conversation starter. In the Atlanta area--we do not mention it, fyi. The rest of the state --well, there are opinions--lol. I've read threads at City Data that go on for years and hundreds of pages discussing the Civil War in great depth--if you are interested in intense discussion--lol. I am not---grew up in the 60's with Lester Maddox and his axe handles and the desegregation of schools---for 30 years we have attempted to 'Get Over' that. Not always easy--I can tell you that, but we managed with The King Center and The Carter Center and other resources to keep the city moving forward. There is still some sensitivity and in the mountains of North GA you can find some who will never change---there are those In South GA that will never change. It makes for interesting legislative sessions at times.
After close to 250 years--the Governor signed a bill this winter to allow local referendums on the sale of alcohol on Sunday in grocery stores---maybe package stores, too---this is the Bible Belt and many are concerned that the state will go to the dogs---alcoholism and drunk driving will skyrocket. Of course, in some of those municipalities people have been crossing the state line for years to purchase alcohol on Sunday--FL, AL, TN and ??NC, SC---I think all sell it on Sunday. It will take a while---

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Employment / Jobs
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.