Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Employment / Jobs
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2011, 02:45 PM  
Supporting Member

San Jose, CA
I mowed lawns for my elderly neighbors, and was a paper boy when I was in my early teens.

My first real job (I define this as the IRS knows you're working and wants their cut) was in a city library. I was a "page", and shelved returned books. I got caught leaving to go play pool while clocked in and got fired. It was a pretty cool job while it lasted. Nice and quiet, and the most relaxed job I've ever had.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:46 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Before my Canadian Tire job, we used to cut class sometimes in grade six to make a little cash.

We would ride our bikes to the Beaconsfield Gold Club and sit on the stairs to the caddy shack till we got called. Then we'd hump someone's bag over 18 holes, maybe get a spruce beer along the way, and end up with 2 or 3 bucks in our pockets for the effort at the end of the day. Buy a couple of hot rod magazines and some candy and consider it a day well spent

Old 12-06-2011, 08:27 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiponredTJ View Post
Before my Canadian Tire job, we used to cut class sometimes in grade six to make a little cash.

We would ride our bikes to the Beaconsfield Gold Club and sit on the stairs to the caddy shack till we got called. Then we'd hump someone's bag over 18 holes, maybe get a spruce beer along the way, and end up with 2 or 3 bucks in our pockets for the effort at the end of the day. Buy a couple of hot rod magazines and some candy and consider it a day well spent
I lived next to a golf course. At night we would wade through the water and collect golf balls, clean them up and sell them back to the golfers.

More often than not they would just yell at us (uptight rich folk) but some would buy and be grateful.

We ended up being asked to leave and never come back, which was illegal as they were on a public water way. They would call the cops, the cops would yell at us, they would threaten to call our parents, we would laugh.

Knowing the law is half the battle, the other half is sticking to your guns when you know what you're doing is right.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:36 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
We still go sledding on the hills at that golf course in the winter.

My third job was working at a Domtar distribution center. For pink fiberglass insulation. I was really itchy that year
Old 04-12-2012, 11:46 AM  

Duncan, Oklahoma, (formerly So, California)
Logging..,.,......
Old 06-03-2012, 03:46 AM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
I did a penny power (little mini-newspaper) route. Put the papers together, my dad would drive me to the neighborhood, and then I'd lug them around and deliver them. It was fun - I wish more kiddos would do that instead of sitting around playing videogames nowadays!

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 08-05-2014, 06:59 AM  
Administrator

Ohio
babysitting

Did no one baby-sit?
They weren't babies, though. Young children.
My first "grownup" job was at the desk of the public library either taking in or checking out books, or helping people with their research.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:17 AM  

Montreal
My first paying job was paper boy, i think i was around 12 at the time

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Employment / Jobs
Bookmark this Page!