Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Employment / Jobs
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-27-2010, 03:31 PM  

Rochester, New York
Who's got jobs??

Sound off on what the job market in your area is like for your line of work.

"It sucks" isn't what I'm after. Maybe "6-12 month wait to find a decent accounting gig" would be more useful.

I'm in Rochester. If I got canned today, it would probably take me one to three months to land another Solaris/Linux admin and Perl programming job in this area and I would expect to be paid about $5,000 to $10,000 less than I make now.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:32 PM  

Sammamish, WA
You might search the Seattle area listings, I have heard that bot Amazon and
Microsoft have been adding staff recently, and Costco has been doing well. Where I work there are currently 5-6 jobs open and a few others expected, nothing in your field, other than a senior network engineer at the airport.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:34 PM  
Community Active

Florence, OR
Over 11% unemployment here!! There are a few, but mostly temps or entry level positions.

I'd try Portland!
Old 10-27-2010, 05:07 PM  
Poison Idea

Took me about a year after my last job ended back in August. Though I also quit construction and it's all I had experience in so that didn't help.

I know Capital One is about to hire another 1000 people for the financial department here, but other than that I'm really not too sure how the job market is.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:59 PM  

I heard yesterday that California has exceeded 20% unemployed, but in order not to scare people, they are not including those who are now forced to get a part time job, and others for one reason or another.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:37 PM  

san marcos, texas
Texas is leading in creating new jobs.
Texas created 4,000 new jobs in September while California lost 63,000 jobs last month.
I read it is because Texas does not increase taxes and impose stringent regulations on small businesses and entrepreneurs.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:12 PM  

ottawa, ont
Jobs in Retail

Many retails stores are hiring for the Christmas sales rush
Old 11-03-2010, 08:44 PM  

beaverton, oregon
Try Portland?? were at 9.6% I work construction, and typically get moved from job to job. I haven't been laid off in 13 years and I got hit in mid june. I got a call from my boss today and I can take a part time gig starting next month.
The plus side of thing is Intel is going to be building a new fab building, and there is supposed to be a new windmill farm taking off soon as well. Intel starts in January and that will be quite a few construction guys going back to work.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:37 PM  
Braiser of Babies

Helotes, Texas
I have been out of work in SA, TX for 7 months. Much of what I have seen is 10 - 15K less than what I was making and most is CTH.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:57 PM  

Saint Petersburg, Florida
Man, I was on unemployment for almost two years, then luckily landed a gig about a year ago in my field. I had been applying anywhere (grocery stores, for chrissake, I'm a welder!) with no luck at all, then bam! work, OT, life has turned around!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Employment / Jobs
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads