Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Florida
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2010, 08:38 PM  

Altoona, PA
Anyone in the Daytona Beach area?

I live in PA but I used to vacation in Daytona Beach all the time but haven't been down in a few years. I used to stay at the Beachcomer on North A1A, it was across from the Bel Air plaza and beside Aliki Tower. I heard it was torn down due to hurricane damage. I'm sad that it is gone as I have lots of memories there from family vacations growing up. I was wondering what is going up in its place and what is there now?

Old 10-16-2010, 09:19 AM  

Edgewater, FL
The thing to understand about Daytona Beach now....is it's dead. All construction in this area have been effectively ended. The mall on the pier has been foreclosed on. So, although I don't know for sure, I'm fairly certain that there has been no real construction after 2005. I doubt that there was a significant rebuilding between the hurricanes and now. It's sad.

Biketoberfest appears to have been a bust this year as well. This depression is killing all businesses. DB has resorted to towing vehicles for funds.

Old 10-16-2010, 06:28 PM  

Volusia County, FL
Yeah... Biketoberfest seems to be way smaller this year. Nowhere near as much stuff up at Destination, and otherwise dead.

Oh well, I am still out riding the Harley...
Old 10-17-2010, 07:39 PM  

Ocala, Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickstand View Post
The thing to understand about Daytona Beach now....is it's dead. All construction in this area have been effectively ended. The mall on the pier has been foreclosed on. So, although I don't know for sure, I'm fairly certain that there has been no real construction after 2005. I doubt that there was a significant rebuilding between the hurricanes and now. It's sad.

Biketoberfest appears to have been a bust this year as well. This depression is killing all businesses. DB has resorted to towing vehicles for funds.
I've noticed the same thing - Daytona is nowhere near what it once was for tourists. I'm in DeLand every other week usually so I try to take a drive on the beach... at least we can still drive there
Old 12-15-2010, 10:50 AM  

Daytona Beach, Florida
I have to agree with everyone else. Daytona is pretty dead now. It has been for the last few years. I'm from the Palm Coast area BTW.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:56 AM  

Panama City, Florida
Isn't Jeep Beach held there every spring?
Old 12-15-2010, 11:06 AM  

Daytona Beach, Florida
Yes it is. It brings in a little bussiness for the local shops but it isnt anything huge.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:28 AM  
Woke Up Breathing

Dang, I haven't been to DB since the late 90's but this sounds terrible. That pier and beach was packed and there was a little hole in the wall bar on the beach just south of it if I remember right that was a blast. Guess I'll just remember it as it was.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Florida
Bookmark this Page!