Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Florida
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-28-2011, 09:01 AM  
Lonely HUMMER Guy

Florida DMV Question

I have a place in Marco Island and I'm gonna be bringing a car down with me to leave there next time I go. How difficult is it gonna be to get Florida plates on my vehicle?

Also.... does Florida have inspections?

Anybody here work for the Florida DMV?

Old 12-28-2011, 10:14 AM  
Lonely HUMMER Guy

Bump! Anyone?

Old 12-28-2011, 10:51 AM  

In California, plates can be provided only to people whose primary residence is in California, and are employed there.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:41 AM  
Lonely HUMMER Guy

See that's what I'm curious about. If I'm leaving the car there in Florida and I do have an address/mail or bills to prove I live at the residence for part of the year can I get Florida plates?

And....

Hey man... how ya been?
Old 12-28-2011, 01:31 PM  

I've been good!

All states are different. My son just did something similar in Arizona. He called their DMV (I believe they call it DOT) and got all the answers in about 3 minutes. I drove over with him 2 weeks ago and got his truck registered in that state, resulting in the savings of $400 per year, with no mandatory smog inspection like California is now enforcing for diesel trucks.

What he did was completely legal and I myself would never advocate circumventing state laws, so my recommendation is to make lots of calls to the correct people.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:41 PM  

Georgia
It costs about $400 to register a car for the first time in Florida, but you don't have to pay personal property taxes on it each year. Tags are issued by a county tag/tax collectors office. They don't have car safety inspections in Florida, but if you are moving to a large metropolitan area, you will most likely need to get an emissions inspection.

We just moved out of Florida, but this link might help: Florida FAQ about Car Registration

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Florida
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.