Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Florida
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2012, 07:33 PM  
VLT

Columbia, SC
Need ideas on where to relocate to Florida

I'm not sure where to even start. If anyone has some ideas, they are welcomed. Here are some of the things I'm looking for:
~Modern type city with mostly retirees in their late 50's (not a historical type of older town)
~Upscale, but affordable ($100k - $125k range home-possibly a townhome)
~About an hour from the coast (not too close in case of a hurricane)
~Have nice sandy and pretty beaches

Thanks!

Old 06-26-2012, 09:14 PM  

Orlando, FL
Mt. Dora is a sleepy little town nestled among a chain of lakes about 45 min. North of Orlando. Kind of a Main St. USA location but has all of the major stores and isn't too far from Orlando. The Villages is another town slightly further North and is known for retirees. Both are about as inland as you can get in FL. Ocala is also becoming pretty decent sized now (used to be hick town, not so much anymore). John Travolta lives there and they have the National Forest if you're in to that.

Most of the towns along the coasts are also retiree friendly (East Coast Cocoa down to Port St. Lucie are more affordable and much of the Gulf Coast is really nice). Hurricanes aren't a major concern unless you are on/near the water. Being 10+ miles inland in a house built after 1993 or so (preferably with buried power lines) will help with property and insurance costs while being able to enjoy the coast anytime you want. Hurricane codes throughout Florida were greatly updated after Andrew hit in 1992. That doesn't mean older homes are no good, just that the newer ones have higher wind ratings for the roof straps, windows, doors, etc. If you plan to renovate a fixer upper, it can be brought up to code with new windows and during the next roof replacement. Houses with no gable ends (think Pizza Hut shaped roofs where all 4 sides are angled down) qualify for discounts on insurance, regardless of age.

Hope this helps!
Mike

Old 06-26-2012, 09:58 PM  
Ric

Denver, Colorado
subscribed
Old 06-27-2012, 03:02 AM  
VLT

Columbia, SC
Mike, thank you for taking the time to post this for me. I'll look into those areas.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:54 AM  
Supporting Member

Aylett (Richmond Area), VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLT View Post
I'm not sure where to even start. If anyone has some ideas, they are welcomed. Here are some of the things I'm looking for:
~Modern type city with mostly retirees in their late 50's (not a historical type of older town)
~Upscale, but affordable ($100k - $125k range home-possibly a townhome)
~About an hour from the coast (not too close in case of a hurricane)
~Have nice sandy and pretty beaches

Thanks!

Have a friend who just purchased a condo. in Palm City, FL (Monark) and when I checked it out, looked pretty good....gated community, etc.......wish I was moving there, too....and, maybe I will...Zillow Real Estate and Trulia Real Estate are good sites to peruse with photos & price comparisons...

The Orlando/Kissimmee/St. Cloud areas are nice (Disney World, etc.) and inland far enough to meet your needs....
Old 01-13-2013, 09:00 AM  

Montreal
St Petersburg has nice beaches and has catered to the senior/retirement crowd for as long as i can remember..
Old 03-09-2013, 05:12 PM  

Have you decided yet? Brevard county is a wonderful place to live its not too fast past and very affordable. I can help you and email you over homes in the area to give you a idea.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:18 AM  

Montreal
Dunedin Florida will check all your boxes.
http://visitdunedinfl.com/
Old 01-15-2020, 01:11 PM  

Orlando, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
St Petersburg has nice beaches and has catered to the senior/retirement crowd for as long as i can remember..
I agree with your opinion. It also seems to me that it is catered to the senior / retirement crowd. And the beaches are really good, I was there last spring, everything is fine!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Florida
Bookmark this Page!