Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Food / Drink
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2011, 09:07 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Artificial Sweeteners

Who uses them and what do you use?

I go through a lot of sugar and have debated switching just to keep sugar consumption to a minimum.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:31 AM  

Shuswap, BC
The chemicals in them are FAR worse for you than natural sugar will ever be.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:50 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Agreed to an extent. Moderation in all things.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:14 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
William Dufty wrote "Sugar Blues" and compares table sugar to other processed drugs like heroin. It's addictive, can cause diabetes and contains no useful calories. More Americans have sugar addictions than any other.

Hell, they add sugar to cigarette filters to tweak that addiction a notch higher.

Maltose and a few others will give you the runs. I've used Sweet & Low and just plain saccharine tabs for 35 years. I distrust it but no reasonable testing discovered serious dangers. I drink it in coffee and soda all day every day. In fact I'm looking for bulk purchases so I can save a bit.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:15 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCboy View Post
The chemicals in them are FAR worse for you than natural sugar will ever be.
cane sugar is better.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:15 PM  
fustrated genius

I use Splenda. It's tricky to cook with. I use it because of type II diabetes, my body doesn't process sugars well. and that I use in moderation or it'll flip my gizzard sideways.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:29 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHood View Post
I use Splenda. It's tricky to cook with. I use it because of type II diabetes, my body doesn't process sugars well. and that I use in moderation or it'll flip my gizzard sideways.
I don't picture you as overweight for some reason but if you are PLEASE DIET. Diabetes is like a multi-headed monster that will kill you but is reversible with weight loss. If saccharine "might" be a danger sugar is a certainty if you're diabetic.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:55 AM  
island girl

Chicago, IL
i hope to never ever have to use artificial sweeteners!

if you guys want/need to stay away from sugar, give stevia a try. it's 100 times sweeter than sugar, so you really need just a little bit, and has 0 calories. supposedly it's safe for diabetics, but please do your research before use. there's a lot of info about it out there, just google it.

and yes, cane sugar is awesome! not only it's much-much-much better for you than white sugar, it tastes so good!
Old 09-26-2011, 09:45 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHood View Post
Doesn't it become poison at a high enough temp?
Old 09-30-2011, 02:04 PM  
fustrated genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
I don't picture you as overweight for some reason but if you are PLEASE DIET. Diabetes is like a multi-headed monster that will kill you but is reversible with weight loss. If saccharine "might" be a danger sugar is a certainty if you're diabetic.
yes. you are correct, sir. I had a bad case of the panzon and dropped 50 lbs. Keeping active now. I always felt miserable being a fat pig anyways so it was a blessing in disguise to be diagnosed with type II diabetes, It's gone now and I am off Blood plessure meds now and yesterday 111/77 !! it was TOO LOW before My doc told me the most effective treatment for it is get up off that couch.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Food / Drink
Bookmark this Page!