Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Food / Drink
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-28-2010, 10:52 AM  

Charlottesville, VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcache View Post
weird.

i'm going to try that
me too... too strange not to try!

Old 10-28-2010, 08:04 PM  

Westminster, Maryland
Most of our camping is in the winter so no worries about needing ice chest. We usually eat what we kill as far as meat goes. You would be surprised what you can cook with a make shift rotisserie. We have made rotisseries only using sticks and limbs and cooked about everthing you can cook otherwise. We have woven basket type rigs to cook onions and carrots. Use live limbs and branches and they won't burn before the grub is done.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:29 PM  

Charlottesville, VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmantrapper View Post
Most of our camping is in the winter so no worries about needing ice chest. We usually eat what we kill as far as meat goes. You would be surprised what you can cook with a make shift rotisserie. We have made rotisseries only using sticks and limbs and cooked about everthing you can cook otherwise. We have woven basket type rigs to cook onions and carrots. Use live limbs and branches and they won't burn before the grub is done.

Wow... too cool... so you have to tell me, what do you kill to eat that is small enough to cook on rotisseries while you are camping?
Old 11-11-2010, 09:30 AM  

Paron, Arkansas
While some of us like things like MREs when camping/hunting I have found that taking a large onion and peeling it then placing it in foil along with a good pat of butter and cooking it in the coals makes for a nice change. Of course, you can also cut up an onion cube the potatos add salt, pepper and a few garlic cloves (peeled) and cook that on the campfire until the meat is done and the potatos are tender and you have a large meal that does well even as a leftover. Just my two pence worth. Hope it helps.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:00 PM  

Naperville, IL
I thought I had tried cooking just about everything on a open fire, but an egg in an orange going to have to try that now.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:02 PM  

Oregon
Hotdog. They require the least amount of clean up.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:33 AM  
edh

Calgary, AB
Eggs travel and keep well if you break them into a plastic vacuum bottle before you leave on your camping trip.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:33 PM  

Kansas City, Missouri
a little seafood gumbo, premade, heat it over the fire and have at it.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:24 PM  

Cincinnati, Ohio

Any soup is great on the trail. A 1L nalgene of your favorite soup feeds 2 very well and is about the easiest and best quality food we've had on the trail. I also like to pack in a frozen pound of cubed venison tenderloin, 2 potatoes, 1 onion, and a medicine bottle with your favorite seasoning. By the time dinner time rolls around your meat will be thawed. I've sauted everything and ate it like that and I've also made a stew. Its best to get your stew started first thing when you make camp.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:55 PM  

Westminster, Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngirl View Post
Wow... too cool... so you have to tell me, what do you kill to eat that is small enough to cook on rotisseries while you are camping?
rabbit mostly, we also eat the first deer killed, hang and cut off what is needed, tie the stick and cook. We started doing this with fish on the lake side when I was a kid. As my oldest son grew up we just expanded. I am just sorry my grandkids don't show any interest in anything that don't have a hand held controller of some sort.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Food / Drink
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.