Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Food / Drink
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-08-2010, 10:13 PM  
Traveler

Dallas, TX
foil in coals is my favorite.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:17 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
To me deep woods camping means doing without the luxuries.

When we go camping it's usually by canoe and involves a couple of weeks of paddling in the bush with some long portages. We go low tech. We've gone days without seeing anyone else. That means light weight, no coolers, no big pots and pans, no cook stoves or other conveniences.

I like rice cooked with various dry soup mixes. Real Austrian rye bread lasts forever. Some dry cured sausages do well without refrigeration. Pork jerky. Trail mix. Spam cooked in a roux with garlic and mixed with maccaroni is good and filling. Bannock and honey. Pancakes with fresh berries and maple syrup. Coffee, tea, flour, gatorade mix. A couple of cans of smoked oysters. Onions, lemons, salt, pepper, a head or two of garlic, and a few other spices.

We drink the water we paddle in and we fish all day so we never goo thirsty and it's rare that fresh fish isn't on the menu. The first few days we'll have a few potatoes to go with the fish. Once in a while we'll get lucky and have some rabbit stew. I always bring a sweet potato or two.

We try to make the vodka last as long as possible. It's a luxury, but well worth it's weight in gold at the fire after paddling all day

Old 12-14-2010, 08:22 AM  
Decent human being

Renton, WA
When I was young and single and had little money and just didnt care it was a bucket of chicken, a pizza 2 cases of beer and 3 large Gatorades would hold me for a 3 day weekend. I love cold chicken and pizza.

Now that Im older and married with a kid I have a camper so food doesn't change much when I go camping from when Im at home.( I kinda miss cold chicken and beer though)
Old 12-22-2010, 11:47 AM  

Northern California
Favorite Camping Foods

My favorite is the hobo pie.

We had one on a Scouting trip when we were kids and now we take a pie maker on every trip. I like to fill them with Dinty Moore stew, but the ones with pie filling make awesome desserts. :P

But, since I saw the earlier post on making Bannock, I may have to try something new! * mouth watering in anticipation *
Old 12-22-2010, 03:12 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumblewood View Post
When I was young and single and had little money and just didnt care it was a bucket of chicken, a pizza 2 cases of beer and 3 large Gatorades would hold me for a 3 day weekend. I love cold chicken and pizza.

Now that Im older and married with a kid I have a camper so food doesn't change much when I go camping from when Im at home.( I kinda miss cold chicken and beer though)
All I took was beer and crackers. Enough beer, and you feel like you have eaten.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:37 AM  
Supporting Member

Aylett (Richmond Area), VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumblewood View Post

Grab yourself a bucket of "KFC" and throw it in the frig.....I like it cold, too.......and, I also like cold hamburgers......big slice of onion and covered with mayonaise....
Old 01-20-2011, 11:01 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaberryeagle View Post
Grab yourself a bucket of "KFC" and throw it in the frig.....I like it cold, too.......and, I also like cold hamburgers......big slice of onion and covered with mayonaise....
Used to be the assistant manager at a Church's Chicken in Austin, it got to the point where the only way I liked it was cold. The hot made me think of work. It took a few years before I started eating fried chicken again.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:03 AM  
treehugger dirt worshiper

San Rafael, California
trout in foil with butter and lemon, just make sure there are no bears around ,lol
Old 01-31-2011, 05:50 PM  

One problem with prepared camping food is keeping it cold and fresh ... if near cold sea, river / stream water, winter camping .. other .. it may keep longer ...

I usually take some sort of canned, dried, other types of preserved food .. that can be mixed and cooked on site ... the only real fresh food would be what you catch ...
Old 02-12-2011, 10:44 PM  

Macomb, MI
Here's my recipe for what I call a campfire shepperds pie. Been doing this in the oven for a couple years now, just tried it on the camp fire last weekend.. worked perfectly.

Heavy Duty Tin foil
1 Potato
1 Hamburger Patty (or just a hand full of beef)
some Onions
cup of Baked Beans
1 squirt BBQ Sauce(Sweet Baby Rays.... personal preference)
Table spoon of butter

Make a bowl out of the tin foil and dump it all in.
Add anything else that floats your boat.. I like adding bacon but it doesnt NEED it.
Either on hot coals on a camp fire or 400 degrees in the oven
Depending on the size of the potato, 30min for smaller potatoes - 60 min for the large potatoes.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Food / Drink
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.