Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Food / Drink
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2011, 05:10 AM  

New York
A quick and dirty sidedish... And I found out this by accadent...

Take heavy duty foil and dump in a bag of Tator Tots...cut up a onuion, and add some salt, pepper and other spices that you want... Toss it on the cooking grill, or on the side of the fire, and just leave it there for awile. The tatortots brake up into like a hashbrown type mix, and all the spices and onuion mixed in make it yummy!!!! The blackend/browned up parts are the best.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:23 PM  
fustrated genius

Many people love to cook out while camping and that's great. But I like taking prepared meals that are easy and quick and can be cooked in a variety of methods. For instance, potato/shredded beef burritos are good wrapped in foil. They keep well, can be made at home and warmed on the campstove, on the fire, eaten cold, just about any way you want. Toss in a bottle of picante and instant belly full. then you're back out hiking, tossing frizbies, shooting targets etc.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:18 PM  

How about easy cobbler?

Take 2 cans of pie filling and put in the bottom of a seasoned dutch oven. Then pour a box of white cake mix over top spreading evenly. Take a full stick of butter, cut into 1/4s and plop them around on the cake mix.

Put the lid on the dutch oven, put it on a light bed of coals with a few coals on top and 1 hour later, the cobbler is done. The cake mix soaks up some of the moisture from the pie filling as well as taking the butter in and bakes itself into perfection!

Great stuff bringing back memories from boy scout camp!
Old 03-17-2011, 03:55 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHood View Post
Many people love to cook out while camping and that's great. But I like taking prepared meals that are easy and quick and can be cooked in a variety of methods.
You're missing a lot of fun. Form your fire into a keyhole shape. I use a grill sold in camping and hardware stores set on the rocks over the small part of the keyhole. That area gets fed red coals as needed for whatever you're cooking.
Those Dutch Ovens bake bread, make a mean stew and can slow cook almost anything.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Food / Drink
Bookmark this Page!