Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Food / Drink
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2010, 10:11 PM  

Omaha, Nebraska
Yet another homebrewtalk.com member here so yes, I make beer, cider, mead, and wine. My next batch to bottle is a dessert pear wine I've had it aging about 9 months. Since I've never made a dessert wine before, it should be interesting.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:26 AM  

Lethbridge, AB
Also another homebrewtalk member lol

I have an EIPA, Light Ale and Apfelwine in the pipeline right now.

Hope fully this weekend will consist of brewing a SMaSH and a Blonde Ale.

Cheers and Happy Drinking

Old 11-22-2010, 05:09 PM  

Ketchikan, Alaska
I'm a long time beer brewing fool. 20 years I think.... Any way I do want to start making my own wine. One think I'd like do is keg it. Just like I already do with beer. Not to carbonate though, just dispense from a keg.
Anyone every try that?
Old 11-24-2010, 11:07 AM  

green bay, wi
1 more homebrewtalk guy here.
Yep the ancient mead recipie posted back further is an excellent one. Easy, cheap, and makes great stuff.

Make beer cider mead.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:17 AM  

Phoenix, Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by biergarden View Post
I'm a long time beer brewing fool. 20 years I think.... Any way I do want to start making my own wine. One think I'd like do is keg it. Just like I already do with beer. Not to carbonate though, just dispense from a keg.
Anyone every try that?
I use corney kegs to hold wine for topping up my barrels. if you use argon at about 5 psi you will be fine.
Old 11-25-2010, 12:01 AM  

Ketchikan, Alaska
I've bought 2 wine kits and I'm looking forwards to getting them going. But one thing I'd like to know, since I'm already a home brewer, is can I age and dispense wine from beer kegs? Not to carbonate, just to pour from.
Old 11-25-2010, 03:52 PM  

Phoenix, Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by biergarden View Post
I've bought 2 wine kits and I'm looking forwards to getting them going. But one thing I'd like to know, since I'm already a home brewer, is can I age and dispense wine from beer kegs? Not to carbonate, just to pour from.
Yes, I assume you are talking about 5.5 gallon Corney/Soda kegs not 15.5 gallon Sankey kegs. It is best to wait until you have racked off most of the sediment a couple times due the kegs push wine from the bottom and you will pull sediment off the bottom of the keg.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:33 PM  

Ketchikan, Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by redazsun View Post
Yes, I assume you are talking about 5.5 gallon Corney/Soda kegs not 15.5 gallon Sankey kegs. It is best to wait until you have racked off most of the sediment a couple times due the kegs push wine from the bottom and you will pull sediment off the bottom of the keg.
Exactly. I use corney kegs. But why would the use of argon gas gas be better than CO2? Does it change the flavor?
Old 11-26-2010, 09:19 AM  

Phoenix, Arizona
CO2 will carbonate the wine just like it does with beer so if you're making sparkling wine I guess that would be okay. Argon will not go into the wine like CO2. Most winerys use Argon or Nitrogen for this reason. If you really what to learn about wine making check out "winepress.us"
Old 11-28-2010, 09:37 AM  

Pittsfield, Massachusetts
One of my hobbies is brewing beer and making mead, want to get some batches going just waiting on some spare money to do so.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Food / Drink
Bookmark this Page!