Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Food / Drink
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-01-2011, 03:23 PM  

Shuswap, BC
Mandatory Tipping at restaurants

I am wondering how people think about the subject of mandatory tipping.

I think a tip needs to be earned, and not just expected.
I tip great service well, okay service gets a moderate tip, and poor service gets no tip, and really bad service I leave a penny.

I was out for dinner last night, it was a group of 6 of us.
We sat down, and as we were reading the menu, my friend noticed a note at the bottom.
It stated we would be charged a mandatory tip on our bill.
We talked about it for a moment, and decided to leave, as we all considered that rude at best.
We went to another restaurant nearby, and I asked before we even sat down, if they had a mandatory tip policy.
The young lady said no, so we sat and ate.
We had great food, and great service.
We left a handsome tip on the table to.

As a side note , we were asked why we chose to leave the first place.
When we responded with our answer, we were called " cheap jerks".

Old 03-03-2011, 08:51 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
That's called gratuity, it is a mandatory tip. They are typically only used with large parties, let me explain why. I've run restaurants, all positions, waiter cook manager,

Of the things I have noticed is large parties rarely tip based on percentage. What's the big deal right?

When you get a big table it ends up consuming the majority of the night of that server, with their $2.15 an hour, they need an assurance they are going to get paid.

Waiting makes money by volume. A table of eight will take three times longer than a table of four, more people means more talking, more drinks, more to mess up, the difficulty is multiplied.

I've worked for restaurants that turn down tables larger than five without a reservation, it can mess up a lo volume restaurant pretty bad.

I understand the thought, and the execution is poor on their part, I always told my tables and guest, but there is a good reason for it.

I've also seen big tables walk out with no tip assuming everyone else was leaving one.

Understand theses things are in place due to the exceptions, not the rule.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:30 PM  

Shuswap, BC
Thanks for the reply Austin.
We left the place with the rude owner and staff, and I am glad we did.
We had a nice dinner at another restaurant, and the staff was so nice, the service and food top notch to.
I have never expected a tip in my whole life, and am shocked on the rare occasion someone does give me one.
If my employees were ever rude to a customer, they would need to find a new job.
Nothing ruins a business faster than rude employees.
I have told probably at least 50 people how rude they were, and its likely the other 5 people in our group have told many others to.
My wife told everyone she works with, and its a large place.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:48 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
I would have fired a rude waiter in no time. They are the face of the restaurant, if you have good food no one knows cause they can't make it past the waiters.

Servers expect tips, and they should, that's how they operate, but I get tired of seeing tip jars in places where they are just paying lo wages to the employees. Places that serve coffee for instance pay typically lo wages which are offset by tips, which allows the owners to operate with a higher profit margin.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:53 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
I've run nightclubs and big tables can be very hard on servers. They bust their tush all night but can run the risk of little or no tip based on who pays and how drunk the payer might be. My waitresses were mostly school teachers trying to make ends meet.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:56 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
I've run nightclubs and big tables can be very hard on servers. They bust their tush all night but can run the risk of little or no tip based on who pays and how drunk the payer might be. My waitresses were mostly school teachers trying to make ends meet.
Mine were college students with full loads and full time jobs. The majority slept very little.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:18 PM  
Homebrewer

Lindstrom, MN
If I go out somewhere and they have that mandatory tip, I don't care. It's not really mandatory. You can choose to pay more or pay less (or pay nothing). They do not have the capability to charge your group more because you're a larger group. We tip fairly generously and have only left without tipping twice...ever. However, if they add that mandatory tip to my bill and I got great service, my cap is what they put on the bill which is generally between 15% and 18%. I've had no problem leaving only 10% on a 'mandatory tip' policy though.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:39 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
I've had no problem leaving only 10% on a 'mandatory tip' policy though.
In this economy 10% doesn't buy much unless your bill is sizable. We're all free to tip as we see fit but waitresses & elephants have something in common.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:02 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerryalan View Post
If I go out somewhere and they have that mandatory tip, I don't care. It's not really mandatory. You can choose to pay more or pay less (or pay nothing). They do not have the capability to charge your group more because you're a larger group. We tip fairly generously and have only left without tipping twice...ever. However, if they add that mandatory tip to my bill and I got great service, my cap is what they put on the bill which is generally between 15% and 18%. I've had no problem leaving only 10% on a 'mandatory tip' policy though.
It's as mandatory as the prices listed for food items.

If you don't want to pay it, don't eat there. I worked for a place that charged you for plates, people would get irate, the boss would walk out, sit down at their table and explain "I still have to pay for that dish, washing it, sanitizing it, paying the guy that does that, everything costs money, if you don't like it, you may leave and not come back.". I hated working for him, such a jerk but it was within his legal limits as it was displayed on the menu.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:33 PM  

Shuswap, BC
Waiters make a minimum wage here in BC by law.
So before tips they get at least $8 per/hour.
Our waitress that night got about a $53 tip, good for a table of 6 nice customers in my opinion.
I guess since restaurants feel its okay, then all businesses should charge a mandatory tip.
I would like an extra 20% in my pocket to.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Food / Drink
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.