Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Food / Drink
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2011, 10:13 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiponredTJ View Post
Haha. I can't stand beets. It's one of the very few things I have a real aversion to. My wife loves them.

If she has any on her plate at dinner, I leave the room.
Fresh beets? Man you're missing out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
I'm the same way about liver. I don't care how much anyone likes it, I don't care how good it is with onions. If it's cooking I won't even go in the house. When you're done open the windows, turn on the fans, I'll be back after I eat out.
Liver is one of my favorite meats. Chicken, cow, I don't care I will find a way to prepare and eat it.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:16 AM  

Houston, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
Fresh beets? Man you're missing out.

Liver is one of my favorite meats. Chicken, cow, I don't care I will find a way to prepare and eat it.
In that case try this:
Cooks.com - Recipe - Haggis

or this:
Cooks.com - Recipe - Menudo

Old 11-23-2011, 07:59 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
I love menudo. By far one of my favorite Mexican dishes.

I need to try haggis still, it's on my list.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:45 PM  
Supporting Member

Aylett (Richmond Area), VA
Here's a photo of our THANKSGIVING DINNER......West Virginia style....2011......

SMOKED TURKEY AND TAVERN HAM........
Thanksgiving Recipes-shared-dinner-2011-copy.jpg 

Old 12-04-2011, 03:00 PM  

Nashville, TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaberryeagle View Post
Here's a photo of our THANKSGIVING DINNER......West Virginia style....2011......

SMOKED TURKEY AND TAVERN HAM........
What is Tavern Ham?
Old 12-05-2011, 04:19 AM  
Supporting Member

The tavern ham = images from google.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldognewtrick View Post
What is Tavern Ham?
Here's some illustrations that will help answer your question......

Quote:
From Answers.com

What is tavern ham?

Answer:

Improve

Tavern ham advertises their product as fully Cooked Gluten free and no MSG. It's not a whole food, meaning some processing has occurred. Ham off the bone would be an example of whole meat, where no, or very limiting process occurs.

Boneless meats under go a process of removing the bones and "gluing" the meat back together in order to be packages and sliced.

Read more: What is tavern ham
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.hatfieldqualitymeats.com/products/products.aspx?ProductID=42
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.google.com/search?q=tave...w=1059&bih=470

Quote:
Our premium tavern ham prepared from lean, hand trimmed Canadian pork and combined with all natural spices and seasonings then coated with brown sugar, honey, and cinnamon. It is then slow cured in natural juices to offer a slightly sweet, 100% delicious ham taste. It's a Healthier Lifestyle? variety that is low in fat, naturally low in saturated fat, has no trans fat, and is lower in sodium. So ham lovers watching their fat and sodium intake can come to the table and once again enjoy delicious, guiltless ham or a ham and Swiss sandwich.

================================================

Our premium tavern ham is prepared from lean hand trim Canadian pork combined with all natural spices and seasonings then slow cured and hickory smoked to offer a 100% delicious ham taste. Ham lovers can enjoy a delicious ham sandwich on bakery fresh bread or roll and for added enjoyment add on a few slices of our Swiss or Lacey Swiss Cheeses topped with one of our flavorful mayos.

================================================

Quote:
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 2 oz (56g)
Servings Per Container: Varied

Amount Per Serving
Calories 60
Calories From Fat 15

Nutrient & Amount Per Serving % Daily Value*
Total Fat 1.5g 2%
Saturated Fat 0.5g 3%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 30mg 10%
Sodium 570mg 24%
Total Carbohydrate 1g 0%
Dietary Fiber 0g
Sugars 1g
Protein 10g 20%
============================
Nutrient % Daily Value*

Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0%
Iron 2%

*Percent values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

Ingredients:

Fresh Ham, Water, Contains Less Than 2% Of Salt, Sugar, Dextrose, Sodium Phosphate, Sodium Erythorbate, Sodium Nitrite, Natural Smoke Flavor, Spice Extractives. 56703
Thanksgiving Recipes-tavern-ham.jpg 

Thanksgiving Recipes-img_3339.jpg 

Old 12-05-2011, 06:50 AM  

Nashville, TN
Ham looks good, heck it all looks good. I think you could of feed 50 or so. What did you smoke your turkey on? I've been doing the turkey hot tub for the last 8 years and love deep fried turkey. Thought about trying a turkey on my little Brinkman smoker but didn't want to experiment on a holiday. So it was 2, Cajun Injector, Creole Butter injected and swimming in p-nut oil for 45 mins...mmmm.

I've got a 60 gal air compressor tank, a small old trailer to mount it on, just need a welder to put it all together. Guess my little smoker will have to get me through for a little while longer.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:58 AM  
Supporting Member

Smoked turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldognewtrick View Post
Ham looks good, heck it all looks good. I think you could of feed 50 or so. What did you smoke your turkey on? I've been doing the turkey hot tub for the last 8 years and love deep fried turkey. Thought about trying a turkey on my little Brinkman smoker but didn't want to experiment on a holiday. So it was 2, Cajun Injector, Creole Butter injected and swimming in p-nut oil for 45 mins...mmmm.

I've got a 60 gal air compressor tank, a small old trailer to mount it on, just need a welder to put it all together. Guess my little smoker will have to get me through for a little while longer.
=================================================
MAYBE THIS WILL HELP........my brother-in-law cooked the one pictured and he said all he did was set it up, go to bed and let the cooker do the work.....didn't see his cooker, but here's a link that may help.....
=================================================
http://bbq.about.com/od/turkey/a/aa112297a.htm

From this above link.......

http://bbq.about.com/od/turkey/ss/aa111508a.htm

His smoker may have been this type.......
http://www.masterbuilt.com/prod-smoker7in1.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=turk...w=1054&bih=501
Quote:

Smoking The Turkey
Get your smoker up to 225 degrees Fahrenheit before you put in the turkey. Oil the grate to prevent sticking. Maintain a temperature of 225 to 250 degrees throughout the smoking session. I like my smoked turkey to be kissed with a combination of oak and apple smoke, about half and half. Use two or three fist sized chunks, spaced throughout the session?you don't want it to be overpowered with smoke flavor. Normally, it will need to smoke from 30 to 40 minutes per pound. Baste the turkey with a little melted butter a few times as it smokes.

When the thick part of the thigh reaches 170 degrees, and the breast about 160, it's time to remove the turkey. The temperature will rise after removing it from the smoker. When the breast reaches 150F, cover it with foil to prevent it from being overcooked.

All that remains is to cover the smoked turkey with a foil tent, and let it rest for at least one-half hour, breast side down, before slicing. This allows the juices and smoke flavor to evenly disperse throughout the flesh as it firms up.

Serving Suggestions for Smoked Turkey
Smoked turkey is a wonderful smoky treat served hot or cold. I think the flavor actually improves after a couple of days in the refrigerator.

The smoked turkey can be eaten along with a traditional Thanksgiving meal, or any other meal, sidled up next to the mashed potatoes, corn, green beans, stuffing, and homemade bread. It's also great chilled, sliced thin, and served on an assortment of crackers and cheeses. Top these off with green or black olives, a thin slice of tomato, or a bit of avacado. Great for the munchies!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Food / Drink
Bookmark this Page!