Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Food / Drink
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-15-2011, 04:26 PM  

Shuswap, BC
Vegans....that still eat products from animals

I do NOT understand some people.
Sitting at home with my daughter, we are watching the Food network on TV.
This lady who is the head of her team in this cupcake challenge, says she is making a vegan cupcake and frosting.
But then uses butter and cream cheese.
Ummmmmmmmmmmm I am not a vegan, but is that not against vegan rules?
Why not put a sirloin steak in there too.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:09 PM  
Traveler

Not for sure, but butter and cream cheese doesn't cost the animal its life, whereas sirloin......would.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:35 PM  

Shuswap, BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicinabottle View Post
Not for sure, but butter and cream cheese doesn't cost the animal its life, whereas sirloin......would.
Okay, not being a vegan myself, I just know what I heard.
My friends sister is a vegan, and she will not have butter, milk, etc. anything from an animals is not in her diet.
She does drink soy milk, and use margarine though.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:46 PM  
Traveler

Well, I was always of the impression, having a few vegan friends ourselves, that they didn't eat meat because it was immoral. As one of our friends always states, "If it has a face" then they don't eat it. I suppose that some are vegans for merely the health issue only, so I can see the absurdity of it.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:51 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Vegans means no animal products or products that use animal testing.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:32 PM  

Los Angeles, CA
I'm vegan and the only debatable animal ingredient is honey. Otherwise if you are consuming things lie dairy, eggs, etc you are not vegan.

Now, that said I have seen several Cupcake Wars episodes, and i do remember seeing an episode where a vegan baker used "cream cheese" and "butter" but these were non-dairy, vegan alternatives. Not sure if it was the same episode, i think i have seen two or three episodes where vegans were baking cupcakes. Also, an interesting note is that in each episode i saw where a vegan cupcake bakerwent up against traditional cupcake bakers, a vegan won every time!
Old 06-13-2011, 03:16 PM  

My daughter is a vegetarian, but will drink milk and eat butter products. According to her, to be a true vegan, you don't consume anything produced by animals.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:24 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
My daughter is a vegetarian, but will drink milk and eat butter products. According to her, to be a true vegan, you don't consume anything produced by animals.
I have friends on all sides of the issue, most of my veggie non vegan friends do it because they say they feel better not eating meat.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:14 AM  

This is how my daughter feels. Unfortunately, without red meat, she has been hospitalized due to extreme anemia. I believe she now supplements this with vitamins.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:16 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
This is how my daughter feels. Unfortunately, without red meat, she has been hospitalized due to extreme anemia. I believe she now supplements this with vitamins.
I hope so. I have a friend who was raised vegan and talks about all the health benefits without telling people he breaks a bone every few months.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Food / Drink
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads