Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Food / Drink
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-21-2010, 07:37 PM  

Tacoma, WA
Vegetarian/Vegan

I'm going Vegetarian/Vegan for a month or two and was wondering if anyone had any advice or recipes.

Old 12-28-2010, 01:12 PM  
bearded brewer

Greenville, SC
My wife and I did this same thing a while back.

Made a lot of dishes with beans to get the protein. The morningstar and boca frozen burgers made great lunches.

Breakfast was super easy, so was lunch. Dinner planning was a bit trickier, but not really that tough. Plenty of vegetarian recipe websites out there.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:52 AM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
I work with a Sgt who's been a vegan since he was about 13/14. Before the Corps, he was really into martial arts, and apparently vegan/vegetarian's are pretty heavily favored in those circles.

He's definitely the strongest smaller-guy I've ever met. He's probably 5'9, maybe 150lbs or so, and he could absolutely take me down, a 5'11, 195-lb guy.

However, there's down sides to it. He can't have any meat/dairy/a few other things, or else he literally gets sick, because he hasn't had them in so long.

He does a lot of brown rice and a low of fish, to feel full whilst still getting his protein. Also, I know he does a lot of nuts.

I'm sure he's got fifty million recipes and such, so if you're interested, let me know.

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 02-12-2011, 10:21 AM  

Tacoma, WA
Been veg for over a month now and love it. I eat lots of beans and rice but am trying new things every day.

My goal was to "test drive" the health benefits of vegetarianism and find a new way to eat. I feel great so far and have lost more than ten pounds. I've learned to cook many new things and have learned more about nutrition than I ever cared to. I'm very aware of what goes into my body now. I've been having fun cooking and finding new things, it's a challenge and I love a good challenge.

On the down side, I don't tell many people what I have done with my diet because the few that I have seem bothered by it. They scoff and treat me different. I am no longer invited to go out with my friends because they don't want to be bothered to find a place that I can eat. From my family I get the whole "I'm not going over to your house for a while" because I eat so many beans. People seem to think that I have turned into one of those vegetarian nazi's that is going to scold everyone who eats meat around me and try to force everyone to do as I do.

Whatever, I do what I want.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:44 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Are you taking supplements?

It's difficult to eat out with vegetarians, I like vegetarian food, all food really, but a lot of the fare is difficult for a lot of people to wrap their head around.

I always find a Thai place if that's going to be the case, it always seems to work out well.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:57 PM  

macomb, Illinois
Vegetarian is an old Indian word meaning "bad hunter".
Old 02-17-2011, 04:23 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by PragmaticHubris View Post
I'm going Vegetarian/Vegan for a month or two and was wondering if anyone had any advice or recipes.

Believe it or not I'm getting a short course in vegan cuisine from this adventure on Rt. 66.

scoot 66 – summer travels on a vespa motorscooter ? Scoot 66
Old 02-18-2011, 02:16 AM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdiver86 View Post
Vegetarian is an old Indian word meaning "bad hunter".
Haha, cute! That'd make a good hunting shirt! I hope you don't really believe that, though...

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 02-18-2011, 11:40 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake7 View Post
Haha, cute! That'd make a good hunting shirt! I hope you don't really believe that, though...
I was raised a meat & potatoes Irishman. Lot's of tasty Tbones and Delmonicos. Dad died of a 2nd heart attack at 63. Mom had a stroke at 68 and a heart attack a few years later.
I looked at their high fat diet and changed my own. I'm no vegan but I eat healthy. At 65 my blood work showed my cholesterol was that of an 18 year old.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:34 AM  

Tacoma, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
I was raised a meat & potatoes Irishman. Lot's of tasty Tbones and Delmonicos. Dad died of a 2nd heart attack at 63. Mom had a stroke at 68 and a heart attack a few years later.
I looked at their high fat diet and changed my own. I'm no vegan but I eat healthy. At 65 my blood work showed my cholesterol was that of an 18 year old.

My reasons for going vegetarian were similar. Not wanting to be full vegetarian or vegan for long, just want to find a new way to eat that is healthier. Think I've found it now.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Food / Drink
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.