Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General City Forum > General City Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-15-2012, 10:43 PM  

Where is that building MK? That is spooky looking!

Old 02-15-2012, 10:49 PM  

Duncan, Oklahoma, (formerly So, California)
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
Where is that building MK? That is spooky looking!
Traverse City State Hospital..Traverse City, Michigan.

I spent 5 yr's there back when I was around 7yr's old (50's and 60's)

For more pic's...TCSH has it's own FaceBook...and there's a 54 page blog written about my time there.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:20 AM  

Greenville, SC
I LOVE old buildings.... Around here there are many of the old mills being turned into high end apartments... They usually turn out pretty AWESOME.. Quite pricey though.

I know, they aren't abandoned.... I LOVE exploring abandoned properties. Don't do it much anymore.

I used to live near Augusta Ga. and there are many cool old buildings in thier downtown area. Below is an abandoned movie theater that I "wanted to buy and show old movies" when I was in HS. I actually looked into it. Bringing it up to code was the financial roadblock mostly...

--Milton Friedman (1912-2006)
Old 02-16-2012, 08:14 AM  

If anyone would like to watch a 45 min, video of old Drive-in Burger joints
across the country. Look up "Burger Town" or I'll drop you the link.
It has the 1st McDonalds located in San Bernardino, Ca. where I lived for 36 yr's.

All through Oklahoma you'll find OLD abandon drive-in theaters. The screen and everything is still there , The whole place is covered in weeds.

There's about 3 of them here and around Duncan, OK.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:44 AM  

Goldsboro, PA
Like an old car, say, a 1930 Deusenberg, the old house is nigh worthless as is..
Remember that the Deusenberg has received over $100,000$ in care and feeding.... These old houses seem to receive nothing..And I would not care to abide in or drive either..so they are abandoned...
This should NOT be..The state should force the owner to do something positive....
Old 02-16-2012, 09:52 AM  

Goldsboro, PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Machine View Post
We have an abandoned hospital. Most abandoned places get torn down or rebuilt here.

Google Charles Camsell Hospital‎ for pics and info.
But, in America, in many places, the old is allowed to rot, which is not right.
Its good to rebuild these places, rather than having them sit and be a burden and a waste.....
An old drive in could become a youth playground, but scum, lawyers, and suits and money prevent this.
We do need reform !
Old 02-16-2012, 10:23 AM  

This is the former Morton Cold Storage building located along side the former Hojack Rail Line. It was used to refrigerate produce grown in the rich farmlands of Western New York. This area was a large apple producer for many years prior to the 1980's. This facility suffered a fire in early 1980's (date unknown) which closed it permanently. I have been inside this building many times as a youth after the fire. We were brave (or crazy) enough to climb the rickety spiral staircase to the upper floors and even the roof. The lower floor was flooded. These photos were taken with a cell phone in October 2010 when a business appointment took me nearby the dilapidated building. It is in very bad shape now. So much so I was very careful to hurry along as I explored it again. The stairs had rotted almost completely away and the concrete structure was crumbling so I was limited to the first floor. You can see the rebar popping out of the concrete on the floors, walls, columns, ceiling, just about everywhere. At least the literally tons of trash & tires had been removed that I saw there in the 1990's when I was last there.This once important cold storage that held the bounty of Western NY is slowly crumbling into a memory of the past.

Full Album Link:
Morton NY Cold Storage

Old 02-16-2012, 10:29 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
But, in America, in many places, the old is allowed to rot, which is not right.
Its good to rebuild these places, rather than having them sit and be a burden and a waste.....
An old drive in could become a youth playground, but scum, lawyers, and suits and money prevent this.
We do need reform !
I'm sure that if you wanted to purchase the ___________ and the land it is on to repurpose the site or structure the owner(s) would listen to your offer... For the right price, you could do it!

I think it is great when people do that. Look at the one below....

Old fork shoals mill...

For the life of me I cannot find a picture of it renovated... It looks like it has been made into a residence.... I don't know but it is AWESOME. All the bricked up windows have had large windows put back in and the area is landscaped. It is right next to a river too...

Old 02-16-2012, 11:32 AM  

It's still there, but now being renovated.

[/QUOTE]

This is just a small section of this State Hospital. There are wings and cottages.
I'll post somme pic's of it during renovation.

It's being turned into Condo's and Law firms.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:13 PM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
I'm sure that if you wanted to purchase the ___________ and the land it is on to repurpose the site or structure the owner(s) would listen to your offer... For the right price, you could do it!

I think it is great when people do that. Look at the one below....

Old fork shoals mill...

For the life of me I cannot find a picture of it renovated... It looks like it has been made into a residence.... I don't know but it is AWESOME. All the bricked up windows have had large windows put back in and the area is landscaped. It is right next to a river too...
Found a pic during renovation....

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General City Forum > General City Discussion
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.