Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General City Forum > General City Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-16-2012, 05:26 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
What's important is that the buildings that give a place it's character are preserved.

All of these buildings were derelicts at one time or another, but they survived and now help define Montreal's neighborhoods.
Abandoned Buildings-heritage_01.jpg 

Abandoned Buildings-lachine-canal-montreal-condo-782477.jpg 

Abandoned Buildings-rent-condo-old-montreal-outside2.jpg 

Abandoned Buildings-rent-condo-old-montreal-outside4.jpg 

Abandoned Buildings-picture-2.png 

Old 02-17-2012, 10:43 AM  

Goldsboro, PA
Usually, these old building possess high quality; but the maintenance must be high as well...If not, and too much time has elapsed, then its time for the demolition...And this must be paid for by the owners, NOT the people...
And I do love to see well-preserved buildings.
But, there is no money to buy any....I think other would buy , IF the price is right - and that includes "negative pricing"....

Old 02-17-2012, 11:56 AM  

Cobb, CA
Used to camp at Beaverkill state park in Rosco NY, there was an abandoned building on a hillside that had caught my friend's daughters boyfriends attention and early one morning we went to investigate. I don't know if it is still there it was on Beaverkill Valley Road just past the intersection of Craig Clair Road (where the bridge crosses over) There is a Mason lodge on the left and a little farther on sits this mansion.

We walked around and could only find one entrance, there was a small courtyard with no gate surrounded by a 8-10 foot iron fence and an imposing arch top oak and steel door that was padlocked. Being an enterprising young man he assesed the situation and hurled the largest rock he could find over the fence, we all climbed over after him. Using the rock 'Jim' smashed the padlock off the door and we were in. There were a couple of rooms, a kitchen with a dumbwaiter and some very odd fireplaces with the mantles decorated with carved releif gargoyls. Then it got weird, there was a stone circular stairway going up to the second floor, not a big open one but maybe 6 foot diameter and walled in like a tower so you could not see up till you were part way up, there was a passageway by the bottom of that stair led to a similar one going down and a third stair leading down in an alcove of another first floor room.

We explored the stairs leading down and encounterd water and there seemed to be no door leading out of one of them them, the other led to the cellar. Going up we found another couple of similarly adorned fireplaces, a couple bedrooms and bathroom. This wing of the house was almost like a pedestrian bridge as it spanned the part where we entered and went to the carrage house at the other end of an open courtyard/driveway. At the end up the upstairs wing was a tile room with probably 25 shower heads along the walls and ceiling on exposed chrome pipes with a single control valve! We explored a bit, took some pictures and went out the easy way through a basement window. I can only imagine the flooded stairwell must have led to an underground passage way back to the carrage house.

A few years later I was asking around town about this place and was told it was built in the 1920's as a private sanitarium for the wife of a New York City man. Strangest place I have ever been in. Sadly somewhere along the line I have lost the photos we took that day back in the late 1970's.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:31 PM  

Duncan, Oklahoma, (formerly So, California)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd006 View Post
Used to camp at Beaverkill state park in Rosco NY, there was an abandoned building on a hillside that had caught my friend's daughters boyfriends attention and early one morning we went to investigate. I don't know if it is still there it was on Beaverkill Valley Road just past the intersection of Craig Clair Road (where the bridge crosses over) There is a Mason lodge on the left and a little farther on sits this mansion.

We walked around and could only find one entrance, there was a small courtyard with no gate surrounded by a 8-10 foot iron fence and an imposing arch top oak and steel door that was padlocked. Being an enterprising young man he assesed the situation and hurled the largest rock he could find over the fence, we all climbed over after him. Using the rock 'Jim' smashed the padlock off the door and we were in. There were a couple of rooms, a kitchen with a dumbwaiter and some very odd fireplaces with the mantles decorated with carved releif gargoyls. Then it got weird, there was a stone circular stairway going up to the second floor, not a big open one but maybe 6 foot diameter and walled in like a tower so you could not see up till you were part way up, there was a passageway by the bottom of that stair led to a similar one going down and a third stair leading down in an alcove of another first floor room.

We explored the stairs leading down and encounterd water and there seemed to be no door leading out of one of them them, the other led to the cellar. Going up we found another couple of similarly adorned fireplaces, a couple bedrooms and bathroom. This wing of the house was almost like a pedestrian bridge as it spanned the part where we entered and went to the carrage house at the other end of an open courtyard/driveway. At the end up the upstairs wing was a tile room with probably 25 shower heads along the walls and ceiling on exposed chrome pipes with a single control valve! We explored a bit, took some pictures and went out the easy way through a basement window. I can only imagine the flooded stairwell must have led to an underground passage way back to the carrage house.

A few years later I was asking around town about this place and was told it was built in the 1920's as a private sanitarium for the wife of a New York City man. Strangest place I have ever been in. Sadly somewhere along the line I have lost the photos we took that day back in the late 1970's.
I always love to explore old places and read the history on how, when, where and why,they were built.

That State Hospital (Formerly known as "Northern Michigan Asylum)I postes was built in 1885 by a company called "Kirkbride".
Google "Krikbride Buildings" and you'll find many of these built across the USA (mainly in the East) along with hundreds of pictures and the full history of them...... and their reputation ...VERY interesting.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:35 PM  

Duncan, Oklahoma, (formerly So, California)
Here in OK, I've see old Plantation buildings (Mansions) abandon and sitting out in the middle of fields
Old 02-17-2012, 01:31 PM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Here in OK, I've see old Plantation buildings (Mansions) abandon and sitting out in the middle of fields
We have those around too... Some are run down but still lived in!

--Milton Friedman (1912-2006)
Old 02-19-2012, 04:12 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Montreal is full of abandoned buildings, or buildings in transition
Abandoned Buildings-dsc00349.jpg 

Abandoned Buildings-dsc00355.jpg 

Abandoned Buildings-dsc00359.jpg 

Abandoned Buildings-dsc00390.jpg 

Abandoned Buildings-dsc00395.jpg 

Old 02-19-2012, 04:45 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
I always wanted a penthouse lol.
Abandoned Buildings-dsc00351.jpg 

Old 02-19-2012, 05:10 PM  

Houston, Texas
I'm getting the idea that in it's past Montreal was an industrial city.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:24 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
We still are. Bombardier is only the tip of the iceberg.
Abandoned Buildings-dsc00369.jpg 

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General City Forum > General City Discussion
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.