Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General City Forum > General City Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-07-2010, 08:04 AM  

Kent, Ohio
Daylight Spending Time

Can someone explain this? In the winter, when we get only 9 hours of daylight to begin with, why do we waste some by placing it at a time that civilized people aren't even awake?

I set my own hours, but I have kids in elementary school. 3 days a week, I have to be at home when they leave and when they return, 8:30AM and 3:30PM. And with one in half-day kindergarten, I also have to be home for her to leave at noon. Part of my job involves photography - I can only work during daylight hours. Another part involves travel - I service a 50-mile radius, and it takes time for me to get where I need to be. Do you know how annoying it is to wake up to daylight at 6:30, knowing that I'll only have about 3 hours of afternoon daylight to get my work done?

Yeah, I have time during the day as well - I can take my kindergartner with me to work, so I can get a couple local jobs done. But, I've only got about 2 hours to work at a time, and have to be back home to get her ready for school or pick them up at home - my fuel costs more than double when I try to work during the school day.

Basically, I go from 12 to 14 hours of time to work in the summer to 4 hours in the winter, and then, the switch to Daylight Spending Time costs me another hour.

Who else thinks the time change needs to be eliminated entirely?

Old 11-09-2010, 08:44 PM  

Between Kansas and Illinois
I don't care either way but I just wish it would stay one way or the other.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:54 AM  
Poison Idea

Yeah, lets get rid of it because it's inconvenient to rival.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:19 AM  

Nashville, TN
We are no longer on Daylight Savings Time, we are now on Standard Time. If we do away with Daylight Savings Time, it will be the same time right now. Time only changes in the summer months.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:02 AM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldognewtrick View Post
We are no longer on Daylight Savings Time, we are now on Standard Time. If we do away with Daylight Savings Time, it will be the same time right now. Time only changes in the summer months.
I'm very well aware of that. Notice I never used the term "Daylight Savings Time". What we're on now is "Daylight SPENDING Time", aka: Standard time. And I advocated doing away with the Time Change. Come March, we switch to the time it's supposed to be, then by next November, we do away with it entirely.

This is probably something that should be taken up at the State level... 3 states have abandoned the time change - Indiana, Arizona, and Hawaii, IIRC. Let's add Ohio to the list!

Motorcharge: Hey, if it helps none and hurts some, should it be kept? The advent of Tivo (and bittorrent) have all but eliminated the only argument I've seen supporting it. The old argument that it saves candles/lightbulbs/energy is utter crap and has been since the industrial revolution.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:41 PM  

Maricopa, Arizona
As I understand it, we in Arizona don't want another hour of hot sun, and the folks in Indiana get confused and don't know which way to move the hands on the clock! Sorry Hoosiers, I couldn't resist!
Old 11-17-2010, 05:12 PM  

Bellevue, Washington
I'm all for staying on daylight savings time and not moving the clock back next November. It's pretty bad here in the PNW. I agree, I hate having the sun rise at 7:17 (this morning) and the sunset at 4:31 (in about 20 minutes). I would rather have the sunrise at 8:17 and sunset at 5:31.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:23 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Yeah it's setting by the time I get off work, I hate it, I feel like it's bed time and I don't get any personnel time.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:48 PM  

Omaha, NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by azvoiceman View Post
As I understand it, we in Arizona don't want another hour of hot sun, and the folks in Indiana get confused and don't know which way to move the hands on the clock! Sorry Hoosiers, I couldn't resist!
I grew up in Indiana. At that point in time some counties (or parts of counties) didn't observe the time change. About half the students in my high school lived in the area that did not observe DST and the rest of us did. Made it interesting coordinating gatherings.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:31 PM  
The Amish wolfman...

Terre Haute, Indiana
As far as i know, up til about 4 years ago Indiana did not follow DST. Now we do....

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General City Forum > General City Discussion
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads