Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General City Forum > General City Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: Should alcohol be banned in public?
Yes 27 15.88%
No 143 84.12%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-08-2011, 11:11 AM  

Richmond,Va., Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacmac1003 View Post
That was prohibition which banned all alcohol everywhere this is talking about banning alcohol from public places like parks which I believe is a good idea I don't like haveing my family around drunken idiots when we are out, plus if these ppl drink at the park they will eventually leave and then we have ppl drunk and driving
Its just the first step to banning it all together, Like every other law they make local, state and federal law makers have figured out how to boil the frog slowly instead of dropping it into boiling water. we just shrug the new law off and accept it and next thing we know we are under total control. All government agencies need to start enforcing the laws we have then there would be no need to make new ones we can't enforce.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:12 AM  

Wethersfield, CT
I don't think public alcohol consumption should be illegal but I have no problem with them cracking down on public intoxication.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:15 AM  

Duncan, Oklahoma, (formerly So, California)
Here some our parks and lakes already have designated areas for alcohol use.

I've drank when I was younger, but only on occasion to be sociable.
I never did like the taste of any of it.

Tabacco was banned from being used in public in California and many other states, so why not do the same with beer and alcohol.
Tax the hell out of alcohol and ban the use of it inside city limits except for bars and designated areas.
I don't think it's fair to be banned from recreational parks and pic-nic and camping sites outside the city.
Taxing it like they did tabacco would slow down the use of it more than a ban would.
IMO.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:18 AM  

Sterling, VA
They tried this once in 1920 it was called prohibition. It was a failure in North America and elsewhere, as bootlegging became widespread. Chicago became notorious as a haven for prohibition dodgers and organized crime took control of the distribution of alcohol. It caused much more problems than it resolved. Distilleries and breweries in Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean flourished as their products were either consumed by visiting Americans or illegally imported to the U.S.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:21 AM  

Elwood, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacmac1003 View Post
That was prohibition which banned all alcohol everywhere this is talking about banning alcohol from public places like parks which I believe is a good idea I don't like haveing my family around drunken idiots when we are out, plus if these ppl drink at the park they will eventually leave and then we have ppl drunk and driving
First of its already illegal to be drunk in public. They give tickets out for that all the time. And TonyH said enforce the laws already enstated.

Anyone that believes someone having a beer or two is a drunken idiot is ignorant. A beer or two over a few hours will not make you drunk. Not to mention beer is one of the healthiest drinks available today with all the other sugar infused drinks market to the public.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:29 AM  

Palestine, Texas
Texas state parks have, for years, had rules that stated "Public Consumption of Alcohol Prohibited". I always took that to mean that I could have it under an insulator and drink it, as long as nobody knows what I'm drinking. As long as I was behaving myself, and I did, nobody cared. Sort of a "don't ask, don't tell" policy.

Unfortunately, there are always a few @$$holes than ruin it for us all.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:55 AM  

Cincinnati, ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1084 View Post
They tried this once in 1920 it was called prohibition. It was a failure in North America and elsewhere, as bootlegging became widespread. Chicago became notorious as a haven for prohibition dodgers and organized crime took control of the distribution of alcohol. It caused much more problems than it resolved. Distilleries and breweries in Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean flourished as their products were either consumed by visiting Americans or illegally imported to the U.S.
the same can be said on the war on drugs. every time America declares war on something it improves what they declare war on. all drugs should be legal, you can buy heroin and meth at the pharmacy but they are legal because they are in patented pills. the government does not work for you. it works for whoever throws the most money at the law makers.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:58 AM  
ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɯnɹoɟ

VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1084 View Post
The same can be said about prohibition in many areas of the black market, at least we learned *some* lessons when alcohol prohibition was repealed.

I dont think banning alcohol in public places will work out too well. Too many 'outdoor' events will greatly suffer if this is the case.

Just better enforce the laws already in place please.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:00 PM  
California Jeepin'

Magalia, CA
Letting people drink in public areas ALWAYS leads to people getting drunk and rowdy. It also means our rivers, lakes and parks are full of used beer cans and bottles. I can't believe it when I go down to the beautiful river near here and there is broken glass all over the place.

I am one who doesn't like seeing more stupid laws, but this one would be a forward step in public safety.

Now they just need to reverse the anti-gun laws. :P
Old 07-08-2011, 12:05 PM  
fustrated genius

It's already unlawfull to be intoxicated in public, I say we simply enforce the laws we have. Too many laws and not enough enforcement. Train and hire more cops.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General City Forum > General City Discussion
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.