Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General City Forum > General City Discussion
Click Here to Login

View Poll Results: Should alcohol be banned in public?
Yes 27 15.88%
No 143 84.12%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-08-2011, 12:13 PM  

Cincinnati, ohio
they need to enforce littering laws and instead of just a fine you have to spend a few weeks picking up litter.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:18 PM  

North of Wausau, Wisconsin
This is a backdoor to making alcohol illegal by consent of the sheeple.. Piece by piece--step by step!

A New Prohibition
The universal application of ignition interlocks will translate into a de facto Prohibition. Soon, anti-alcohol groups and the auto and interlock industries will overcome the technological and regulatory barriers to making these devices standard equipment.

For a myriad of legal and political reasons, universal ignition interlocks will be set at low enough levels to prevent adults from having even one drink prior to driving.

Say goodbye to enjoying a glass of wine with dinner, a beer at a ball game, or a champagne toast at a wedding. The only barrier between these activist groups and a universal mandate is whether or not the public accepts the technology.

"The public, though, has to accept these things, or they won't work.”
MADD President Laura Dean-Mooney

Find out how interlocks could lead to a new prohibition.

Interlock Facts

Interlocks: The New Prohibition - Interlock Facts

Old 07-08-2011, 12:22 PM  

Omaha, NE
We had such a ban in Nebraska and recently repealed it.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:39 PM  

Moorpark, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
Letting people drink in public areas ALWAYS leads to people getting drunk and rowdy. It also means our rivers, lakes and parks are full of used beer cans and bottles. I can't believe it when I go down to the beautiful river near here and there is broken glass all over the place.

I am one who doesn't like seeing more stupid laws, but this one would be a forward step in public safety.

Now they just need to reverse the anti-gun laws. :P
Enforce the laws already on the books. Littering is already illegal and punishable by hefty fines. What makes you honestly think that a public alcohol ban will make lakes and rivers cleaner? The type of person that is going to litter in the first place is the same type that will ignore a public drinking ban. Effectively nothing changes except that you or I would face criminal charges for wanting to have a beer while camping or during a bbq at a park or beach.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:43 PM  

Moorpark, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacmac1003 View Post
That was prohibition which banned all alcohol everywhere this is talking about banning alcohol from public places like parks which I believe is a good idea I don't like haveing my family around drunken idiots when we are out, plus if these ppl drink at the park they will eventually leave and then we have ppl drunk and driving
Are you serious? It is already illegal to be drunk in public. If someone is getting rowdy and out of hand because they are trashed it already is illegal. Driving drunk is illegal. Why do we need another law? Banning alcohol for everyone else solves nothing.

Oh wait, I forgot...
Old 07-08-2011, 12:58 PM  

Silverdale, WA
I personally feel these laws are too restrictive as it is. I've seen numerous places where I would have loved to have the option to take in the view and responsibly enjoy 1 or 2 drinks but couldn't due to laws.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:01 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songbird View Post
Say goodbye to enjoying a glass of wine with dinner, a beer at a ball game, or a champagne toast at a wedding. The only barrier between these activist groups and a universal mandate is whether or not the public accepts the technology.
If you really believe a new age prohibition is on it's way you mustn't understand simple economics. The local, state and federal government makes in the billions on alcohol tax revenue. That's not just for the consumption, I'm talking from grain to bottle and everything in between.

If you think they are going to slowly trickle down with legislation to completely eliminate the consumption of alcohol, you're flat out wrong. Millions of jobs like farmers, suppliers, shippers, wholesalers etc would be eliminated. Last I checked, we're trying to get people jobs, not destroy the economy more by eliminating them.

But I digress. In Virginia, there is what's called an "open container" law. Essentially, this law is in effect everywhere. Meaning you cannot posses a container that is unsealed (open) containing alcohol in a public place. Do I think people can enjoy a drink or two responsibly? Yes. Do I believe that people cannot enjoy drinks responsibly? Yes - law or not this will still happen and does happen where I live.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:05 PM  

Cincinnati, ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by drathbone View Post
If you really believe a new age prohibition is on it's way you mustn't understand simple economics. The local, state and federal government makes in the billions on alcohol tax revenue. That's not just for the consumption, I'm talking from grain to bottle and everything in between.

If you think they are going to slowly trickle down with legislation to completely eliminate the consumption of alcohol, you're flat out wrong. Millions of jobs like farmers, suppliers, shippers, wholesalers etc would be eliminated. Last I checked, we're trying to get people jobs, not destroy the economy more by eliminating them.
that sounds just like the cannabis prohibition except instead of making money they throw money away
Old 07-08-2011, 01:28 PM  

Boston, Ma
In Europe they allow drinking in public-even have beer vending machines. But they have tough drunk driving laws and enforce laws against public drunkenness.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:32 PM  
Brew Master Nate

Anchorage, Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbump
I don't like giving up any of my rights. I've already seen enough of them taken by the Government. I don't trust them and I'm not going for anything they propose.
I agree 100%

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General City Forum > General City Discussion
Bookmark this Page!