Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General City Forum > General City Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

View Poll Results: Should alcohol be banned in public?
Yes 27 15.88%
No 143 84.12%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-08-2011, 01:41 PM  

Mocksville, North Carolina
I do not use alchol but we have too many things banned and/or illegal now. This is supposed to be the "Land of the Free", are we a bunch of wimps?

Old 07-08-2011, 01:49 PM  
Braiser of Babies

Helotes, Texas
Enforce PI/MIP. The root of the problem is not enforcing the laws already on the books.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:50 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Things like Renaissance Fairs & Octoberfests would disappear without that income. Still there are places like parks that are usually posted as alcohol free so people do have choices.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:51 PM  

Philly, PA
Some of my most cherished experiences in life combined enjoying some delicious craft beer and nature's glory. I remember this river I went to in Virginia - it was like paradise. Lots of people were hanging out on the rocks, enjoying some brews, swimming. It was a nice atmosphere and nobody was out-of-hand. I didn't witness anybody littering, nor did I see any evidence of previous visitors littering. Part of what made it great was that it felt like freedom AND community at the same time.

But I've also seen the bad side - The "Thunder on the Boardwalk" airshow in Atlantic City, NJ. The beach gets really crowded, and there is no enforcement of open containers/alcohol. I saw soooooooooo many a-holes leaving their cans and bottles in the sand when there were trashcans within 20 yards. I spent a lot of time that day taking it upon myself to pick up some of the trash that others left behind. It was depressing and infuriating at the same time. People who do that s**t should be thrown in jail.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:59 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcoolface View Post
they need to enforce littering laws and instead of just a fine you have to spend a few weeks picking up litter.
I would LOVE seeing that!
Old 07-08-2011, 02:13 PM  

Granger, Indiana
Enforce Existing Laws Before Adding New Regulations

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyH View Post
I say no. I am not a drinker at all but I am sick of how legislation is big on Not enforcing the laws that exist and just make more laws that hurt everyone.
In this case. Cops should lock up the rowdies that get out of hand but let the casual, safe drinker enjoy a day off at the Park.
I hate that many Parks are closed at Sunset. I enjoy walking the beach and watching the sunset. Or walking the beach during a Full Moon. Instead of hammering the few bad eggs, they come along and say Parks closed at sunset. Spoils the fun for the innocent. Enforce the laws on the few and let 'the masses' enjoy themselves.
Brookhaven Township is famous for saying "NO" to everything that used to be fun just because it's easier then enforcing order.
I agree with Tony and everyone else who raise the point about lack of enforcement of existing laws. Laziness leads to lack of enforcement which leads to creation of additional behavior modifying regulation. Enforcement of existing laws sends the message of seriousness which leads to compliance thus reducing the need for additional regulation. Lack of enforcement teaches people that they don't need to comply with the law and they don't need to exercise personal responsibility and the "do-gooders" think it's a failure of specificity about what is intended. This causes a need for clarification, special exemptions, loopholes, etc. Enough is enough! Stop stealing our liberties because a few lowlifes are to stupid or too lazy to follow the rules.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:56 PM  

Reedsville, wi.
No

No, they tried prohabition once and it did not work then and it will not work now and that is what the "do gooders" are after again. Take it away a little bit at a time till there is nothing left. Like all of our other constitutional rights that are being denied us.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:07 PM  
jed

Running Springs, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampYankee View Post
I don't think public alcohol consumption should be illegal but I have no problem with them cracking down on public intoxication.
I fully agree, just enforce the laws on the books.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:21 PM  

SW PA
Common Sense, common decency, not common law

It's much a matter of the current and younger generations being taught respect for others, and perhaps themselves in the process. That will never be legislated.

A federal park we love to boat at has a 'no alcohol' policy- actually I think they all do. However, enforcement is common sense. The rangers know that many, if not most of the casual boaters (especially on the weekend and holiday weekends) have alcohol. They even weave in and out of the 'redneck yacht club' tieups where it's pretty clear that the insulated can holders don't have soda...but, you know, unless someone is being stupid, the rangers leave it alone. They let the adults quietly enjoy adult beverage with each other. Someone loud and rowdy...oops, they just got 'inspected' and in many cases, rightfully towed. It's a good balance... a policy in place to enforce if needed, and common decency/sense from law enforcement. Makes it a right enjoyable place to go. Oh, I don't drink, but my wife certainly enjoys having 1-2 beers over the course of 4-6 hours sitting in the sun with snacks. Do we need hassled about that? Really?

For the person concerned about littering...careful of what you wish for. People will still take booze cans and bottles with them where it's forbidden, but...it's a lot less risky to throw those empty containers out than get caught with them in your garbage, back pack, cooler or hand. Your 'prohibition' in public places will more likely than not lead to MORE litter rather than less. I've seen it with open container laws in this state. People who used to save their empties to recycle simply toss them now to avoid being 'caught' with them. Unintended consequences.

Yes, crack down on the visibly intoxicated and rowdies. The laws are on the books as nearly everyone has stated. Heck, forget about parks and rivers for a minute, how about pro and college sporting events? Talk about not being able to take children someplace? You can't even escape the profane vulgar bombardment you get at these places now unless you want to leave the venue. It's embarrassing for the human race. No common decency, no common sense. No respect of others.

Respect for others is where it all starts. Not more laws.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:25 PM  

Columbia, MO
From cigarettes to alcohol

I being an x-smoker have watched the well crafted attack on cigarette smoke by the same government that was making billions from the tobacco industry. They started small with banning it in hospitals, then creating a lawsuit against the big business tobacco lobby, and last I have watched them ban cigarette smoking in all business's weather the owner of the business wanted to or not and have watched multiple once active places fail and go out of business. I said then you watch alcohol will be next as it will first be large open public places and then anyplace where one *might* get drunk and become rowdy..

I point out that this type of thing is not stopping the drunks just stopping regular everyday people from enjoying their rights. watch first tobacco, then alcohol, then caffeine, then red meat and any other thing a small group of people can find any fault with...

Don't stop the process enforce the laws against the ones who screw it up for everyone else

Just watch something you enjoy will be next......

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General City Forum > General City Discussion
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads