Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General City Forum > General City Discussion
Click Here to Login

Reply
Old 07-30-2012, 08:43 AM  
Member
 
XJ99's Avatar

Raleigh, North Carolina
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 76 | Kudos: +11
Images: 1
We get letters from the power company saying
out of the 50 homes around us with roughly the
same square feet, we use the most electricity.
We come in dead last during the summer months.
(high 90's, A/C can't keep up!)

During the winter, we don't use the gas heat. As
a matter of fact they even took our meter, and
capped the gas line. That's ok, the wood stove
insert keeps our little 900+ square foot home warm
with no problems. Last year it cost me $160 per
month to heat the place. I was going through a
cord of wood per month. (1/2 cord every 2 weeks)
This year I bought a 1/2 cord ready to go, and
only used about 1/2 of that! (mild winter)

Anyway, the power company should sell to me in
bulk during the summer since I'm such a good, reliable
customer.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:24 AM  
Senior Member
 
havasu's Avatar

California
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 5,747 | Kudos: +238
Images: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ99 View Post
We get letters from the power company saying
out of the 50 homes around us with roughly the
same square feet, we use the most electricity.
We come in dead last during the summer months.
(high 90's, A/C can't keep up!)
I would call the electric company and request an energy audit. Most are provided free of charge, and will offer money saving tips and tax incentives in order for you to save money. How thick is the insulation in your attic?
__________________

Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:54 AM  
Member
 
XJ99's Avatar

Raleigh, North Carolina
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 76 | Kudos: +11
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
I would call the electric company and request an energy audit. Most are provided free of charge, and will offer money saving tips and tax incentives in order for you to save money. How thick is the insulation in your attic?

Insulation in the attic is blown in, about 6"-7" thick.
House has two sets of siding on it, double insulated,
and is covered by trees. I think I lose some through
the front door, and mabe a few windows. When it's
pushing triple digits, the A/C just can't keep up. The
old unit probably needs to be replaced (probably 15-20 YO)
but since it's working, and I don't have the coin to
replace it, well.... You know..
Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:13 AM  
Senior Member
 
havasu's Avatar

California
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 5,747 | Kudos: +238
Images: 17
I can relate. A little hint. Many good air conditioner installers have slightly used units when their customers want to upgrade, and will sell them and install them for a small fee, just to get rid of the units. Just something to ponder....
Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:15 AM  
Member
 
XJ99's Avatar

Raleigh, North Carolina
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 76 | Kudos: +11
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
I can relate. A little hint. Many good air conditioner installers have slightly used units when their customers want to upgrade, and will sell them and install them for a small fee, just to get rid of the units. Just something to ponder....

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind!
Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 04:30 PM  
Junior Member

Syracuse, NY
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 8 | Kudos: +10
Not sure what you're looking for but basically heating our small ranch home costs between three to four hundred a month between December and March. This is gas heat and electric. Summertime is around one hundred a month. We don't have a/c. Water is 54.00 quarterly. Trash pickup runs 90.00 quarterly as well.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General City Forum > General City Discussion
Bookmark this Page!

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.