Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Georgia
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2010, 04:12 AM  
rub a dub dub

between your ears talking to ya, Georgia
Jeep CJ5 w SBC350 needs help

I'm in Lawrenceville and own a Jeep C5 with a Chevy 350 V8 that I'm having trouble getting to run. IF you live nearby and are handy with motors, please send my a reply so we can get together and help me out here. Motor turns over but won't start. Spark testing shows no electricty to plugs... Thats where I'm at.

Old 10-04-2010, 03:59 PM  

Suwanee, Georgia
I'm in Suwanee and dropped a 350 sb into a cherokee a few years ago but am REALLY short on time. Will def try and help out if I can but if its just an electrical problem seems like it should be an easy track down if you go back to the coil and just follow it down.

Old 10-04-2010, 04:34 PM  
Injanir

Griffin, Georgia
My buddy did a swap like that and he kept having all kinds of electrical issues. He finally figured out the grounding needed to be beefed up.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:02 PM  

Clayton, Ga
What does it have? A carb or injection?
Old 10-07-2010, 11:33 AM  
rub a dub dub

carb. turns over but wont fire, tested the spark n no spark...
Old 10-08-2010, 08:56 AM  

Buchanan, GA
HEI ignition?
Old 10-08-2010, 06:48 PM  
rub a dub dub

not that i am aware of, just a regular dizzy with top mount coil...

Old 10-09-2010, 12:21 AM  

Suwanee, Georgia
Should be fairly easy to track down. It's either the coil, rotor, or plug wires. Possibly the plug gaps, but i'm sure if you did this swap you have crossed off the easy stuff. Borrow an ohm meter and start with the hot lead to the coil and just keep going till you find the weak link.

Really wish I could shoot over there, looks like a fun project.
Old 10-09-2010, 03:48 AM  

Augusta, Georgia
A good thing to check would be the Dizzy itself, based off your picture, it is running the HEI ignition system, and inside of that system there is a spring and little metal conductor which transmits the spark to the rotor in the top portion. If you've taken apart the distributor, you may have lost the part seeing as its spring loaded and tends to launch when you open the dizzy up. Also, if its not brand new, clean the leads to each contact leading to the individual spark plug wires. If all that checks out, its gotta be an issue of no spark getting to the dizzy, at which point you should be able to test for continuity in your lines. Get a light bulb- continuty tester (can be found for about $10 at your local auto parts store), disconnect the battery, and clamp the clamp from the tester to the positive side of the battery cable(that part that clamps onto the post on the battery) What this does is send power through your positive power line. Then, simply touch the other end of the tool(The tool looks like a screwdriver, with a cable and clamp coming from the top end, and a spike on the other, with a battery and light bulb inside) to the positive feed to the distributor, if the light bulb in lights up, than you're getting power to the dizzy.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:26 AM  
rub a dub dub

Alrighty, got an electrical tester and volt meter, was outta town all w/e but will give it a crack today. will post back later.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Georgia
Bookmark this Page!