Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Georgia
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-11-2011, 01:10 PM  

Russellville, AR
Looking for the best beach and beach area in Georgia for a Vacation!

My extended family and I were all talking about doing a trip either this summer or next to the Ocean and Beach area. Our first thoughts went to Florida, but with the recent oil-spill and we wanted something not quite so touristy, we started looking in Google Earth for a beach that would fit our needs. I would like for you folks that live in this area to chime in on a great remote spot for camping (if your state allows beach camping and how you get to it (hiking or drive in)) or a great little community that has some great condo's to rent for a large family to all split the cost and have a great time. This will be my wife's first time to the ocean and a beach so I want it to be something memorable and not a swamp land. The rest of the folks in our party will be happy with some sort of beach house or condo to rent for the duration of our stay.

My wife and I are all about camping and outdoors, so we would try and find a way if possible to camp out at least one night in a tent or perhaps no tent at all, but we need some feedback. One of the places that have some nice photo's and a decent beach from the images on Google Earth appear to be around the Tybee Island area and little tybee island area. We are looking for a safe beach to let our kids under 5 play without rough waves and such, a sand beach and not a pebble or stone beach, few rocks to fall and die off of, and some interesting "treasures" to find while beach combing. Less visited beaches or areas are always a plus to us! Please help me provide some feedback to our family from the folks that live or have been to these areas!

Thanks!

Old 01-12-2011, 07:05 PM  

Boston, MA
Cumberland Island off of St. Marys GA. You have to take a ferry to get out to it. But there are no cars on the island, only a few people living on it, and the Carnegie ruins on the island are beautiful. Plus there are wild horses that are really cool.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:12 PM  

Brunswick, Georgia
Cumberland, as the previous post mentions, is beautfiul. Very remote.
Another great option is a little further south; Jekyll Island is less touristy than the surrounding islands and has great beaches that surround the entire island. They also do treasure hunts for children using handheld GPS in the summer. Lots of historic sites on the island and is a short drive to any other island in the Golden Isles.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:23 PM  

Athens, Georgia
I've been to cumberland, once when I was a young kid and just a few years ago too. I absolutely loved and love it.
Very historic place too, you'll love it too!
Old 01-12-2011, 11:39 PM  

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Hilton Head
Old 01-13-2011, 04:47 AM  

Boston, MA
Fernandina Beach on Amelia Island in Florida is also nice. If you pick a condo by the pier, it will be less crowded than if you pick one by the Main beach access or Peters Point access.

Also, for you and your wife, you could always take the 35 minute drive up to St. Marys for the ferry to Cumberland.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:06 AM  

Russellville, AR
Hilton Head just looks very "developed" and "touristy", I'm liking what I looked up about Cumberland Island and such. So it looks as though, so far, more people prefer the south of the state's beaches than the North up by Hilton Head. If you have any experience in staying at a particular place please post it. Were looking at like 14-18 adults and up to 8 kids.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:44 AM  

Cumming, Georgia
We go to Tybee Island every once in a while, it's okay.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:13 PM  

Columbus, Georgia
As previously stated, cumberland is real nice, I used to live in St. Mary's and visited many times, but anothe very nice place with awsome beaches is Jeckyl Island, near brunswick, I stayed there 3-4 times, alot of things to do, most hotels have bikes for you to use, they have lots of recreation and its near a water park..
Old 01-19-2011, 06:03 PM  

Macon/Carrollton, GA
If you want something in GA go to Jekyll. good place to go. and not so touristy, only problem there is that you need to pay a toll each time you go on the island. well any islands near brunswick. you pay for the day. Amelia Island down in FL is perfect. they have condos and last time I was there, they did not have any hotels. its a small island that is about 12 miles long. and on one side of the island is a reservation and the other side is a national park with camp grounds. in the middle is some condos and a hand full of shops. if you go there try the one pizza place on the island!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Georgia
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads