Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Georgia
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2011, 10:51 PM  

Need GA whitewater rafting recommendations

A couple years ago I took my wife down the Pacuare River (Class 2-4) in Costa Rica and she loved it, I've never seen her smile so much. Anyways, this Christmas we were in GA and I figured we should come back during the summer some time and take in some of your waterways. Do any of you have any suggestions?

Old 02-05-2011, 06:46 PM  

The Nantahala River has class 1-3 rapids and ends in Georgia. Usually you begin in South Carolina. I would suggest the Ocoee river its class 3-5 rapids but classified as a class 4 river.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:01 AM  

Have you any experience with the Chattooga?
Old 02-06-2011, 07:00 AM  

no but its supposed to be the best. in terms of scenery.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:59 AM  

I have been rafting on the Ocoee River right over the TN several times. The middle Ocoee is fun for the whole family. I want to do the upper (the part the built for the Olympics) as it is a little more intense. There is also a upper+middle that is an all day thing that would be great. You can get funyaks (or whatever) and self-guide on the lower. Very relaxing.

Nantahala is also a lot of fun and the Bryson City area can be a draw for some.

The Chattooga is next on my list though. There is a section there with five IV+ rapids in a row. I think spring is the best (worst?) as far as rapids go as the river is fed by snow melt. This is also where the filmed much of the movie Deliverance, so if you hear banjo music, paddle faster.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:07 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHowell View Post
...so if you hear banjo music, paddle faster.
classic!

thanks guys. I will definately check out at least one of those routes out the next time we go down. If the wife doesn't go outlet crazy again... perhaps both

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Georgia
Bookmark this Page!