Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Georgia
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-15-2011, 08:29 AM  

Sunday Alcohol Sales

With veto-threatening Sonny gone and Deal willing to sign, it seemed that the Sunday sales issue would finally be put to rest. But it seems that many (mostly rural) Republican assembly members are getting cold feet when it comes down to it.

What do you think? Think it will happen this year? Ever?

Personally, I think the efforts of the legislature don't go far enough. They are simply pushing the responsibility of making the decision. This "Personal Freedom" kick that a lot of Republicans (lead by the Tea Party) have been on lately seems to stop short of letting businesses decide when they want to be open and letting people decide when they want to patronize these businesses.

I have nothing against not purchasing alcohol on Sundays. I respect that many people have religious beliefs that say they should not. But they can make the decision to buy. You don't need to tell me I can't either.

Also, apparently the Republican leadership in the Senate (that is sponsoring the Sunday Sales bill) will not bring any measure to the floor that does not have majority of the Republicans behind it. I find this frustrating.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:12 PM  

Cumming, Georgia
it's not just christians who don't want alcohol sales on sunday, I would say 95% of us don't care one way or the other. It's a minority who is against it. What the media doesn't tell you beause it's an excuse to bash christians is that state reps are getting as much pressure if not more from bar and restaurant owners who don't want sunday sales because it will cut in to their business. I do work for a couple of state reps who have told me this.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:53 AM  

Well, I am not sure the media is just trying to bash Christians. They are the most vocal on the subject and that rating from the Christian Coalition is important to a lot of voters and politicians. And if bars are worried about losing business, too bad for them. Should grocery stores be not allowed to operate on Wednesdays to help restaurants?

But it seems that the point is moot for this sessions at least. Seeing that the majority of Republicans do not support it, it will not get an up/down vote this year. Even though if given that up/down vote it would likely pass easily.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:07 AM  

Augusta, GA
I'm so ready for sunday sales....I hate driving to Aiken when I forget every...single...time.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:06 PM  

it is rediculous that this is dead yet again... this state is so stupid sometimes
Old 03-03-2011, 04:56 PM  

It's not just the restaurants that don't want Sunday alcohol sales the Package stored don't want to have to open on Sundays. But they would have to in order complete with grocery stores and quickie marts if Sunday sales were allowed.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:04 PM  

thats the best part about our free market.. if they dont want to open... then dont open...
Old 03-07-2011, 11:27 AM  

As long as the religious right has their grip on our government, I wouldn't hold my breath. We came so close this time, only to be denied when legislators did not want it public that they voted on Sunday sales.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:39 AM  
Dirty old Scavenger

Tunnel hill, Ga.
Blue laws suck.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:48 PM  
Dirty old Scavenger

Tunnel hill, Ga.
looks like its back.

I could care less really,I drink at home,but I'd like the choice. :P

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Georgia
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads