Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2010, 04:31 PM  

Best beer selection in town?

I'm coming in to town soon and was wondering if you all had any recommendations for bars and/or beer stores where I could grab some west michigan brew?

Old 12-10-2010, 06:45 PM  

BFE, MI
Either International Beverage on the east side. (just north of 28th st on East Paris) or Siciliano's Market on the west side. (on Lake Michigan Drive at the Shamut Hills corner)

They are both incredible places with knowledgeable employees.

Old 12-10-2010, 06:47 PM  

BFE, MI
As far as bars/pubs goes (sorry i didn't read your post real close) Hop Cat and Founders are both downtown. Hopcat is right next to the Van Andel Arena, and Founders is just a little south
Old 12-12-2010, 02:31 PM  

Founders or as smokey suggested siciliano's is and awesome store to buy beer from and supplies. Founders is an actual brewery/pub.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:19 AM  
nit

The b.o.b. is a brew pub, however go early in the day becuase at night it gets a little bit crazy unless your into that stuff
Old 12-16-2010, 06:28 PM  

Gladstone, MI
Definitely recommend Founders hands down.

For a store to buy beer from, what about that place out on Alpine? Don't know the name of it; but if you go there, make sure to buy a lottery ticket. They've had a few winners!
Old 12-19-2010, 12:08 PM  

Grand Rapids, Michigan
beer in GR

Founders is great, but like the BOB, go there early (like before dark) unless you like elbow-to-elbow crowds and college hooligans bumping into your glass. Founders has a huge selection of huge beers, very strong, very good, and occasionally an experimental that misses the target.

HopCat is right in the middle of downtown, best beer bar in the country in my opinion-- dozens of drafts from around the world, specials constantly, Tues-Thurs from 4-6PM you get a huge burger, crack fries and a draft for only $6.

The other brewpub I'd suggest is called the Hideout, small brewery north off Plainfield. Great beers, they also lager a few, and always consistent quality. Cool place, great beer.

If you don't want to drive out of downtown too far, Sammy's in Eastown has a good selection of single bottles, or Art of the Table on Wealthy St., or Martha's Vineyard on Union and Lyon is awesome too.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:55 AM  

Gladstone, MI
NICE review aarossell! Now I can't wait to make another trip to Grand Rapids!!!
Old 12-20-2010, 09:52 PM  

Grand Rapids, Michigan
I'd definitely shoot for Siciliano's - it's less than 10min from downtown, and has triple the selection at a third the price of Martha's or Art of Table... plus the staff is way more fun, AND they're homebrewers/beerphiles, so they'll point you to extra-cool stuff.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:54 PM  

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Also, another fun place it Schmoz' Brewery on the SE side... their beers aren't the best I've EVER had, but they're usually fun/interesting at worst, and the place is super cheap with a really fun, down-home vibe, and great people. They did a pretty decent Old Ale last winter that I was quite surprised by...

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Michigan > Grand Rapids
Bookmark this Page!