Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2010, 04:02 PM  

Norfolk, Virginia
I am a home brewer.
Came over from Homebrewtalk.com
I also buy most supplies from Homebrewusa, although there have been occasions when I needed something on a Monday and had to go to the Cake and Wine place because HBUSA is closed on Monday.
Friendlier folks at HomebrewUSA, IMHO.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:35 PM  

Virginia Beach, Virginia
I'm going to put in my plug for the LHBS also. Homebrew USA has a broad selection of grains which is great for cloning or fine tuning your special favorite. It's really nice to have a great selection on hand. They opened a second store so they are close by wherever you are in Hampton Roads. Also, if you are getting into brewing don't miss one of the Brew days. I have only been to one and met great people and learned alot. They also fed me and my kids very well!!

I'm also looking into BARF. Hopefully when I get some time between work and parenting I can make it out there.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:37 PM  

Virginia Beach, Virginia
Cake and Wine?

Where is this cake and wine place and what do they have there?
Old 12-16-2010, 05:24 PM  

Hampton, VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomasej View Post
Where is this cake and wine place and what do they have there?
Wine and Cake is on Tidewater drive in Norfolk. They sell beer and wine kits and some equipment. They are set up more for baking than for brewing.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:10 PM  

Portsmouth, VA
I'm friends with Liz and Neil and they are indeed great people. I haven't popped my cherry on homebrew yet but I'm thinking about it. They used to frequent and sell to Alt Platz, which was a brewery in Olde Towne Portsmouth. My girlfriend and I used to live in the area. She even worked there a while. Tom's Nut Brown Ale was probably my favorite beer ever.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:00 AM  

Love brewing, hardly ever buy commericial anymore. Im getting into all grain now, just need to complete my setup.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:01 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin108 View Post
I'm friends with Liz and Neil and they are indeed great people. I haven't popped my cherry on homebrew yet but I'm thinking about it. They used to frequent and sell to Alt Platz, which was a brewery in Olde Towne Portsmouth. My girlfriend and I used to live in the area. She even worked there a while. Tom's Nut Brown Ale was probably my favorite beer ever.
Alt Platz is gone gone gone
Old 12-21-2010, 08:22 AM  

Portsmouth, Va
HB USA. really not too many other choices. After Shipping.... You will pay the same or more anywhere else!
Old 12-21-2010, 08:32 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sipwreck View Post
HB USA. really not too many other choices. After Shipping.... You will pay the same or more anywhere else!
Agreed after shipping from austinhomebrew is usually +/- $1
Old 12-22-2010, 05:14 AM  

Portsmouth, VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_center View Post
Alt Platz is gone gone gone
Yeah, it's been several years now. I was keeping in touch with Tom on Facebook but his account got hacked once and he dropped off the radar after that.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads
Bookmark this Page!