Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2010, 04:54 PM  

York, PA, PA
Harrisburg area Brewery tours

I have not been able to go on any of the brewery tours in the Harrisburg area (troges, application) My question is are they worth going on. Are they truly educational and are they any small breweries in the area I may not have heard of that would offer tours.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:59 PM  

harrisburg, pa
I hear the Troegs one is great.

Old 12-11-2010, 09:00 AM  

York, PA
Troegs and Appalachian both have tours on Saturday and the Troegs tour is a bit more interesting, but they both have their merits.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:18 PM  

Philadelphia, PA
I've never been on the tour at Appalachian, but it's a nice brew pub for what it's worth. Troeg's on the other hand, I've been on their tour many times over the years of their expansion (and now relocation). It's a very good tour, one of my favorites (though Sam Adams is a lot of fun if you find yourself in Boston) overall. They are in the middle of relocating to a bigger location, so I can't guarantee how the tours are of late, but last I was in a few months ago it was still nice.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:49 PM  
PA Transplant

Thomasville, PA
Doesn't Yingling have a tour? I have heard that one was pretty good.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:01 AM  

Philadelphia, PA
I actually just did the Yuengling tour this weekend, though it may be a little bit of a hike. I went to Troeg's directly after and believe it was about an hour drive. It was a fantastic tour, especially when comparing something like Yuengling, a brewery (as opposed to being a micro) and seeing how large their scale is, then seeing something like Troeg's, a microbrewery. It certainly gives a different understanding and appreciation for both ends of the spectrum, in my opinion. Plus, with Yuengling being such an old brewery, it is pretty neat to see the contrast in equipment and what things are similar, what is done differently, etc. Highly recommend both tours, as both have some neat stories and very different backgrounds.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:35 AM  

Philadelphia, PA
I love troegs nugget nectar but you gotta love the hops for that one! I can't wait to get out to their brewery.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:54 AM  

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
I would definately suggest the Troegs tour. A good amount of the time, the tours are actually led by one of the Trogner brothers. It's pretty informative.

My suggestion is to start on Saturday by going there at 12:00 when they open. Get your name on the tour list if you haven't reserved a spot. Order one of their samplers. Sit down and try all the beers. By the time you are done, the first tours is getting ready to kick off. When you're done, just grab another of the beers you liked best, fill up a growler, and check out the gift shop.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:13 AM  

Philadelphia, PA
I love how tours always end in the gift shop. Marketing genius!
Old 12-26-2010, 08:51 AM  

Harrisburg PA
Definitely try to get to Troegs before their old location in Harrisburg closes. It will be cool to see how things change when they open their new brewery in Hershey next year; supposedly they will be tripling their capacity.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg
Bookmark this Page!