Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-02-2010, 08:42 PM  

Harrisburg, PA
Loud noise near the york split on I83

Does anyone know what the loud honking noise you hear around the York split of I-83 every once in a while? It sounds something like a cow mooing almost... seems to be at different times of the day, but it is pretty consistent on a day it is happening.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:31 PM  
PA Transplant

Thomasville, PA
I am wondering if it might be the siren from 3 mile Island? I am not sure but I know they test those things often.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:49 AM  

York, PA
I have never heard that - what time of day do you hear it? I see the trains pass through Lemoyne - could it be a train whistle?
Old 12-12-2010, 09:41 AM  

Harrisburg, PA
I'm pretty sure it's not a train, I can hear those pretty well from where I live. This noise sounds like some sort of horn... actually, it sort of sounds like a really loud cow mooing. It will happen for a little while, like 3-5 in a row, then it's gone for a while. I was thinking a shift change horn of some sort, but it doesn't seem consistent enough for that.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:19 PM  

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
I grew up in Middletown and would not compare the TMI sirens to a cow. They are very long and drawn out like a air raid siren. They tested them a few times a year when I lived there.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:29 PM  

Harrisburg, Pa
Its the Lemoyne fire siren. Its a unique sound
Old 12-28-2010, 06:43 PM  

Harrisburg, PA
That has been bothering me forever, but that would explain why it seems to come at random times of the day... I always thought it was some sort shift change or something, but could not think of any outdoor job sites hat close. That's so crazy that it's a fire house siren, it seriously does sound like a giant cow mooing.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:21 AM  

how long have they had that siren?

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads