Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg
Click Here to Login

Old 12-11-2010, 12:39 PM  
new brewer

juice, in
Micro brewery

how do i start my own micro brewery capital /laws/ect?

Old 12-13-2010, 01:15 PM  

Philadelphia, PA
www.ttb.gov and www.probrewer.com are the two places I have been going to the most for info, as it's been an interest of mine as well. TTB.gov is the official group that will regulate/permit/etc breweries, and they have some VERY strict limitations on making one, but it certainly isn't impossible. Probrewer.com is full of useful articles and info on going professional, but it certainly doesn't seem as quick/easy as I'd like it to be!

Old 12-16-2010, 02:52 PM  
JF Recruit

State College, Pennsylvania
ive though about the same thing, but seemed a whole lot easyier to just home brew w/o selling
Old 02-18-2011, 07:39 AM  

If there is a place in PA to find out how, its Harrisburg.

They have a couple great Brew Pubs as well as two of the best Breweries on the east coast in Victory and Troegs. I'd go and visit them and talk with the owners/workers.

The Troegs Brothers themsevles give free tours on Saturdays from 2-4 and are very friendly/informative.

"Beer School" By the owners of the Brooklyn Brewery is also a great read if you are thinking of starting a micro!
Old 02-21-2011, 10:59 AM  

marketing

Once you set up shop what would be the best way to market your brew?
Old 02-24-2011, 06:18 PM  

Lititz, PA
If you have to ask you probably aren't anywhere near ready to start your own brewery, brew-pub, or restaurant. No offense, but it's a large undertaking. Capital intensive to get the brewing equipment you need of any scale. The licenses, inspections, etc. also. I'd start by talking to people who have been there, done that, and get their insight if you are really serious. If you are just dabbling in the idea b/c you are sick of your daily 9-5, maybe read Brewing up a business by the Dogfish head founder. Give you a taste of it...

ProBrewer.com is a good suggestion, go spend a lot of time there. You can even find some used equipment there (even still, not "cheap"). I wouldn't go there and make a post similar to this though or you aren't going to get much help...

Like I said, this is a lot more difficult than "I homebrew, I think I can start my own brewery...". First you need to be an excellent small-scale brewer, but that won't necessarily mean you can brew on large scale anyway. Need $$, Mngt skills, a head chef and staff that can cook (if doing food), etc. And of course the legalities...

By all means good luck if you attempt it, but I'd do a lot of research, thinking, and pairing with those experienced in the business if possible.

Smallest scale, successful place I know is Selinsgrove Brewing Co. Maybe get in touch with them and get their thoughts. Start small and work up.

Another idea - maybe try to get in a franchise of an existing micro - say something like Appalachian - see if you can open a location in Lancaster or something?
Old 02-25-2011, 05:09 PM  
new brewer

juice, in
Thanks to all i wanted to put this out there not just for myself but anyone who might be interested.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:33 AM  

Starting a small winery is alot easier then a Micro-Brew... too bad my local township is being a pain with the general buisness permit.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:47 AM  

If you can make good beer ([I]ie[I] something that others enjoy, not just you and your buds) then the best model may be that of East End Brewing in Pittsburgh: make beer, sell it, do not saddle yourself with a restaurant or bar.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg
Bookmark this Page!