Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Hawaii
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-23-2010, 03:52 PM  

Average Costs of Items

I'm planning a trip to Hawaii this summer, I've been told I need to plan to spend a lot on everyday items, any truth to that?

Old 11-23-2010, 05:23 PM  
11b or wanna be

Erie, PA
Not at all. Actually when I took my wife there before I went to Iraq we found that food was pretty much comparable to what it is here (except McDonalds lol they charge more) we also found that anything made in Hawaii was cheaper especially things like souvenirs. we could get shirts for around 5 bucks and i got a few tikis for around 25-30. all around its typical USA pricing but I was only there for a few days so i didn't go buying groceries and such so I wouldn't know about that. But if I had to guess it would be a little bit more but not by much as most things are shipped in.

Old 11-24-2010, 02:43 AM  

It really depends on what you are looking for and where you are shopping for it. If you're in an area that caters to tourists e.g. Waikiki, then you will pay a premium for good and services. If you venture out into where the locals hang out, then the prices are considerable lower.

For example, a well gin and tonic in Waikiki can cost you $8 give or take a buck. Get away from the tourist areas and the same drink can be $5-$6.
Old 11-25-2010, 02:38 AM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
I agree with prodigal. I'm not sure where Vince went to, but I've lived in Oahu for about 2 years now, and things are definitely more expensive. I wouldn't say they're exponentially more expensive, but it's definitely noticeable.

And, like he said, it depends on what kind of items you're looking for. But most of the items that come to my mind are more expensive on Oahu than even in, say, California.

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 11-25-2010, 09:25 AM  
11b or wanna be

Erie, PA
I was in Waikiki and priced seemed fair and about the same to me. Im judging off of restaurant prices since we ate out a lot and they were very comparable to home
Old 11-25-2010, 02:56 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Well, Lothario, since I'm not sure which items you're talking about, I could just give you some examples...

I just went shopping yesterday and milk was about $6/gallon, and gas is around $3.40.

If you give me some things you're interested in buying/doing, I'd be happy to get some prices for you!

Old 01-13-2011, 10:14 PM  

I am seriously thinking about moving to Hawaii because I have been in Minnesota for the last 25 years and I NEED a serious change! and I need some help on research... It looks like Jake7 would be able to help the most with what I need help with. I am interested in cost for everyday items, electric bills, gas prices, etc. As well as daycare... How is life in Hawaii? Are the people there nice/rude/happy?? How are the hospitals there? I hope to hear from you or anyone who can help my concerns. Thanks!

Randi
Old 01-14-2011, 03:09 AM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by briananayeli View Post
I am seriously thinking about moving to Hawaii because I have been in Minnesota for the last 25 years and I NEED a serious change! and I need some help on research... It looks like Jake7 would be able to help the most with what I need help with. I am interested in cost for everyday items, electric bills, gas prices, etc. As well as daycare... How is life in Hawaii? Are the people there nice/rude/happy?? How are the hospitals there? I hope to hear from you or anyone who can help my concerns. Thanks!

Randi
Hawaiian Electric is quite an rip-off, because eventhough if you go on a month long vacation, Hawaiian Electric will charge you the higher percentage rate! This was told by a friend who had a nasty surprise with HIS electric bill! Hawaiian Electric runs on oil. They burn oil to boil water to have the steam turn our aging generators. And use ocean water to cool the generators. Oil is getting more and more expensive, as our electric bill keeps rishing about an average of 8% every year!

The price of gasoline is no surprise, the HIGHEST among all 50 states! Right now, about $3.58 per gallon.

Hawaii has the lowest gun-related crimes in all 50 states. And one of the lowest registered owners accross America. But we have the strictest gun registration and purchasing laws.

Life in Hawaii is "laid back". Not much rush-rush as New York or Los Angeles.

We have, of course, warm tropical climate all year round, and for us, 66 degrees and below is concidered FREEZING! NO blizzards, or snow. Our version is rain and rain with strong winds. Our rainy season starts late October and ends about Mid February. We have mountain showers all the way through the end of April. Out dry season is from May through October.
Average temperature is 94 degrees for our summer season, and around 78 degrees for our winter. We rarely drop below 68 degrees.

People here are all what you describe. Maui, The Big Island of Hawaii, and parts of Kauai have NICE people. As parts of Oahu where I live on. RUDEness comes with territory and our morning rush hour traffic! HAPPY..... not in our present economy!

I cannot comment about our daycare cost, since I am single, but I am sure someone else can comment of this issue.

Hospitals here are always crouded. Patience always have to hit the call button more than once. But our nurses are hard working, and they are nice! But when you get your bill, you will face another hospital stay!

Our EMS system are extremely quick! But that depends on where you live, of course. I live in the middle of Honolulu, so our ambulance comes within 15 minutes from your call to 911.

Groceries are also extremely expensive. $4.25 - $6.00 for breakfast cereal, $3.25 for a half gallon of milk, $3.50 and up for a dozen eggs, and that is why I wait for SALE.

Overall, the only thing you could look forward to living in Hawaii, is... our warm tropical weather, our beaches, our diverse culture, and how we get along with each other.

Hawaii is the closest to the orient (Japan, Phillipines, China, Korea), so Hawaii has the most orientals living among the 50 states.

And the oriental influenced food is out of this world!

Yes, Hawaii IS expensive. And some people's excuse they come up with is:
"The price of paradise".
Old 01-14-2011, 12:01 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Well, yeah he definitely said a lot of things I was going to say! I'll just give me little spin-off of what he said.

Life is definitely different. It's crazy how you can go up to North Shore and sit around on an empty beach (yes you can find them without tourists) all day reading a book and watching the surfers, then go to downtown Honolulu/Waikiki where it's urban and has a lively nightlife. So, in short, I do think it's paradise; however, everyone's view of paradise is different, so I'd recommend coming out here first for an extended period of time before actually deciding to move here. You've got to get past that "honeymoon" stage of all the beauty and weather, and see how it really is to live here. For me, that took about 2 months.

The electricity is very, very high. And the only way it's going is up. If you're not ready to step down your electricity use in your everyday life, then you're in for a shock. However, I came here, got rid of cable and started going to the beach/camping/going out more with my family. Also, depending on where you're at on the island, the breezes on some parts (particularly the central, higher part) are quite cool, so you can leave your windows open and nix the a/c to save some cash.

Same thing with gas - you're going to learn to cut back, or you're going to pay for it. Great example is myself: we came here with a Jeep Commander, then moved to a 4-Door Wrangler, now have a Mazda 5, and am planning on buying a new Prius next year. High gas prices sure will convert you, or make you pay dearly for being stubborn! Good thing? The island's only about 27mi by 40mi, so you can only drive so far!

One major thing to consider is the traffic. There's tons of people on Oahu, and sometimes traffic can be frustrating - usually towards Honolulu in the morning and then going away from Honolulu in the evening.

Weather's gorgeous - everyone knows that. He described it pretty well - winter, it rains somewhat often. Summer, almost never rains and is always sunny.

I use Tripler military hospital, and my wife is a stay-at-home mom, so I can't speak to either of those things - maybe someone else will chime in on those.

I shop at Sam's and, yes, things are absolutely more expensive than on mainland. However, at Sam's a gallon of milk is about $4, but some places it can get up to about $6/gallon. If you come here, especially with a family, I highly recommend getting a club membership to Sam's or Costco - it's definitely worth it, and saves us overall grocery costs.

Like he said, it's a big trade-off. There are bad things, and there are good things. Come here for a bit and decide if it's worth it for you.

Two things to think about - first off, like he said, gun ownership is some of the lowest in the US. That's generally because the steps to buy a weapon here and intimidating and very, very time-consuming. If you're looking to buy a weapon at all, buy it before you come and just bring it with you on the flight over. I bought 3 weapons in Texas before coming here, and I'm very glad that I did.

Secondly, you mentioned child care, so I'm assuming you have children here. In Hawaii, especially Oahu, drugs, namely Meth, are a huge problem. Also, Hawaii schools , due to budget cuts, generally have half-day Wednesdays and then often they have Fridays off. Unfortunately, Oahu's schools, on a national scale, are pretty far down on the list. Depending on what age your kids are, you should definitely do research on the best school for your child.

I hope both of our inputs' helped out a bit - let us know if you have any more questions!

Old 01-14-2011, 09:57 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
THANK YOU JAKE7!
A FABULOUS Moderator!

Yeah... I forgot to mention about the school system. At least for NOW, Furlough Fridays are a thing of the past. And Hawaii being so "layed back", the PUBLIC school system is, sadly behind the NATIONAL average. The kids here, I have to say, are..... SPOILED! I see this among my friends with their kids.

When I was attending intermediate (now called "middle") school way back in 1971, I would smell marajuana from the boys restroom. NOW? WHO knows? I don't see kids riding bicycles, or hanging out at the parks anymore! Where are they? Probably at home on-line, or in front of their X-Box or PS3 or Nintendo Wii.....

So I would suggest PRIVATE schools. But private schools here in Hawaii range from $7000.00 to $??? maybe upwards to $30,000 per child! Public school, well, I don't know the cost per child for elementary and middle, but high school students now foot about $80.00 for student body fees, year book, and other misc. cost. But that was like five years ago.....

And, jobs are RARE! You HAVE to obtain a job before coming here...waiting for you or a skill level entry job here to compete with the college grads. Unemployment USED to be the lowest in the nation with around 3.2%, but now average 7.3% ! Oahu (Honolulu) has the most jobs available, by the way.

Hawaii would only be the best place to live for retirees !!! I mean Social Security could cover some of the cost. And as Jake7 and I both know..... you can't beat our year-long tropical weather!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Hawaii
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.