Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Hawaii
Click Here to Login

Old 12-27-2010, 02:29 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Oahu camping

So my family and I are thinking of going camping this weekend with a few buddies for new years.

We're thinking about to Peacock Flats, but would be up to try something else - anyone got any idea? I've got 2 kids under 4 I'll be taking, so it can't be a stoner/meth head's paradise!

Thanks in advance!

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 12-28-2010, 06:13 PM  

if you're in the military or know anyone in the military that can hook you up, there are several great campsite on military owned land.

Pililaau Army Recreation Center, Bellows and Barber's Point are all worth a look. They're far from roughing it, but not really sure what you're looking for.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:46 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Yeah I'm a Marine stationed out here. My fam, buddies and I are going camping out at Peacock Flats this weekend (haven't been there yet), and I've been down to Bellows a ton. Just kinda seein if there's something I've missed besides the normal spots.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:44 AM  

Soonerville, Where the wind come blowing down the range
Is is all modern camping or is there primitive camping on the islands?
Old 01-24-2011, 07:35 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Well the island's 25miles X 40miles, so no matter where you go, you're going to be just a few miles away from civilization, the beach, and about half hour away from a major city, max.

So yes you can blaze a trail and camp with no one else around, but you're still going to be just a few minutes from normal things.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:30 PM  

This might be a little late for you to plan your New Years trip, but I've heard (from my local buddies) that I shouldn't go to Peacock Flats without a local friend. I've never been there, so I can't tell you exactly whether or not you should go. If I was gonna go camping, I'd stick to Bellows, but that's because I have a newborn and a wife who is still nursing. The other thing you could check out is the Pupukea area. There is an old Boy Scout camp up in the mountains...might be able to camp there if you contact the Boy Scouts of America. You can look their number up online...google "Boy Scouts Hawaii." You might also want to check out the "Hiker's Guide to Oahu." They have a lot of hiking/ camping on the island. Some longer hikes have camping along the way. The trail that comes to mind stretches from Laie to Wahiawa through the Ko'olau Mountain range. Supposed to be a 3 day trip with 2 stops to camp along the way (very primative). I'd love to hike that, but again...not conducive to babies...also, I'd feel bad leaving my wife at home all weekend without anybody to help with the baby while I go hiking and camping with the guys. Anyway, you should check out the book...I think I got it at Borders near Ward Center.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:37 PM  

i know Bellows is a great place that you can rent out cabins! or if you really want to rough it try Kaena Point.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:47 PM  

x2 Bellows.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:11 PM  

Hawaii
HI! I'm new to th island and would love some tips on the best places to camp
Old 10-24-2011, 10:02 PM  

there is some place i went to with boy scouts that had a pretty sick trail and went up to huge overlook....i was told some of jurassic park was filmed there? think near kaneohe? i was only like ten at the time...cheers

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Hawaii
Bookmark this Page!