Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Hawaii
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-03-2011, 06:17 AM  

Vacation Recommendations

The wife and I are finally taking that dream vacation to Hawaii. We've been to a travel agent, bought the Frommer's and Fodor's guides......now I want some expert advice. If you've vacationed in Hawaii, or better yet, if you live there, help me out.

We haven't been on a real (not within driving distance) vacation since our Honeymoon 17 years ago. We went to Cancun, it was nice, but I want more of the "experience".

I am overwhelmed at the things to see and the shear size of the Islands and want to take in as much in a week as possible without having to run all over the place. We want to see the volcanoes, the waterfalls, beaches, helicopter rides, snorkeling, local culture AND relax too. Our travel agent is showing us Maui, I'm thinking that the Big Island has possibly more of what we want. And of course, I looking to do a little Jeepin' while we're there.

So what would you recommend? We don't want to miss the "best" locations to do this or do that....but you wouldn't stay in Myrtle Beach to go visit Disney World. So, staying at a great beach on the BI only to have to spend half a day driving to see the Volcanos Nat'l Park and then drive another day to see some waterfalls isn't really what we had in mind.

Thanks to all replies!

Old 03-04-2011, 07:09 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Hello and ALOHA!

I am an Islander, but Oahu. Oahu, as you know, has Waikiki Beach, Diamondhead, hotels all lined up along Waikiki Beach, and loads of people!

The Big Island of Hawaii would be your best choise! Volcanos, and Hawaii's tallest mountains! And IF you come at certain days of the "winter' months here, you can experience snow on the tropics! And the forest researve there is second to none!
Akaka Falls is Hawaii's tallest, and you can also experience "Boiling Pots", and others.
If you want the most picturesque island, you should go to Kauai! That is where they filmed Jurasic Park. And Kauai has a lot of water falls, and not to mention, the Grand Canyon of the Pacific: Waimea Canyon. I would truthfully avoid Oahu. REALLY not much to see and enjoy here exept shopping and the night life. And what you see on the post cards and travel videos, are what you see! To take IN Hawaii, you should visit The Big Island, then Kauai, then Maui! But on the Big Island, you will be driving for miles seeing NOTHING but black lava fields! But when you reach your destination, he black lava fields will REALLY bring up the color of the rain forest, the plush green tropical paradise you can only DREAM of! And you are "hearing" this from an "Oahuan".

Old 03-10-2011, 06:49 AM  

Thanks! We booked yesterday! Two days on the Big Island to see the volcanoes and then on to Maui. We are so excited, June cannot come fast enough. We will be staying in Kailua-Kona then spend a night at Volcano Village. Then on to Ka'anapali for the rest of the time. Everything looks so beautiful and I can't wait to be touring around in a Jeep!

Thanks for your input!
Old 03-11-2011, 02:49 AM  

Honolulu, Hawaii

GREAT CHOICES! June is GREAT! There should be NO rain, but school is out, so be wary of the local kids. But they should be better behaved than Oahuans...

The volcano opened another caldera, very interesting eruption phase! But it stopped erupting now. But there were numerous tremors around the volcano.

ALL of Hawaii is in a state of a tsunami WARNING as of this writing... but everything should be cleared out by June IF we are hit hard. Hawaii is well prepared!
Old 06-06-2011, 09:01 AM  

Getting close to heading to HI...>

I think the only thing that I'm unsure of is my plans to take the Road to Hana trip. I'm not sure that I'm going to be able to get in enough of what I want to see in one day.

We're going to be staying at Ka'anapali Beach and I have no concept of drive times......I'm not sure that I want to make the Hana trip twice.....and spend two of my days driving like that.

Any tips? I would like to do the full round trip rather than turn around and go back the way I came. I would say that probably most of what I want to see is beyond Hana. But I also know that to get to where you want to be to see certain things involves hiking on foot, which is going to eat up a lot of my time.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:17 PM  

Shuswap, BC
While I help you with the travel plans.
I do hope you have an awesome trip.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:52 PM  

When in Maui, rent a Jeep and do the Road to Hana. Gas up, pack food & drink and get an early start. Take it slow and stop often.

Enjoy!
Old 07-11-2011, 07:09 AM  

We just got back and I'm already planning for next year!
Wow, what a beautiful place! The sunsets were unreal, the luau was awesome, the road to hana, amazing! We did so many things in 8 short days I need to go back and do the rest. Every beach was beautiful and no two were the same....the waterfalls were so breathtaking, and the people are so friendly......all I can say is "Mahalo nui loa!"
Vacation Recommendations-dsc03678.jpg 

Vacation Recommendations-dsc03692.jpg 

Vacation Recommendations-dsc03843.jpg 

Vacation Recommendations-p6260003.jpg 

Vacation Recommendations-p6260014.jpg 

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Hawaii
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads