Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Hawaii
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2014, 03:28 PM  
Administrator

Ohio
what is vog?

I was reading about Hawaii's weather and saw a word I have never seen before, "vog". What is it?

Old 08-12-2014, 04:27 PM  

My sister and her family live on Oahu, and occasionally will have to deal with Vog. Here is the definition from the computer.

Vog is a form of air pollution that results when sulfur dioxide and other gases and particles emitted by an erupting volcano react with oxygen and moisture in the presence of sunlight. The word is a portmanteau of the words "volcanic", "smog", and "fog". The term is in common use in the Hawaiian islands, where the Kīlauea volcano, on the Island of Hawaiʻi (aka "The Big Island"), has been erupting continuously since 1983. Based on June 2008 measurements, Kīlauea emits 2,000–4,000 tons of sulfur dioxide every day.[1]

Old 08-13-2014, 06:43 AM  

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
My sister and her family live on Oahu, and occasionally will have to deal with Vog. Here is the definition from the computer.

Vog is a form of air pollution that results when sulfur dioxide and other gases and particles emitted by an erupting volcano react with oxygen and moisture in the presence of sunlight. The word is a portmanteau of the words "volcanic", "smog", and "fog". The term is in common use in the Hawaiian islands, where the Kīlauea volcano, on the Island of Hawaiʻi (aka "The Big Island"), has been erupting continuously since 1983. Based on June 2008 measurements, Kīlauea emits 2,000–4,000 tons of sulfur dioxide every day.[1]
Did you pay attention to that? Awesome. And how many other volcanoes around the world do the same?
Old 08-13-2014, 08:03 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvcabbie View Post
Did you pay attention to that? Awesome. And how many other volcanoes around the world do the same?
I'm more surprised how our government failed to fine these volcanoes for excess emissions.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Hawaii
Bookmark this Page!