Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Health / Exercise
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2011, 07:51 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
British researchers develop "cure" for Type 2 diabetes

Type 2 diabetes cure, extreme diet - latimes.com

: starve yourself

Quote:
By Thomas H. Maugh II, Los Angeles Times/For the Booster Shots blog
June 25, 2011, 2:17 p.m.
British researchers have developed what they say is a "cure" for Type 2 diabetes, the most common form of the disease. And all you have to do is starve yourself for eight weeks. 8 weeks!

Roy Taylor, head of the magnetic resonance imaging unit at Newcastle University in Britain, and his colleagues studied 11 patients who had developed diabetes later in life and who had had it for several years. The patients averaged 220 pounds at the beginning of the study. Each was put on a 600-calorie-per-day diet that included a special diet drink and non-starchy vegetables, such as broccoli, asparagus and cabbage. The diet was followed for eight weeks.
Quote:
Taylor reported Saturday at a San Diego meeting of the American Diabetes Assn. and in the journal Diabetologia that, after one week on the diet, each of the patients' fasting blood sugar, taken before breakfast, had returned to normal. At the end of the eight weeks, the patients had lost an average of 33 pounds and had no signs of diabetes. Three months after returning to a normal diet, seven of them remained free of the disease. Average weight gain in that three months was 6.5 pounds.

Taylor believes he has an explanation for the results. At the beginning of the study, MRI scans of the patients' pancreases showed that they held an elevated level of fat, 8% compared with the normal 6%. That extra fat impairs the organ's ability to produce insulin, he speculated. At the end of the study, fat levels in the pancreas were down to normal in each patient.

"We believe that this shows that Type 2 diabetes is all about energy balance in the body," Taylor said in a statement. "If you are eating more [calories] than you burn, then the excess is stored in the liver and pancreas as fat, which can lead to Type 2 diabetes in some people. What we need to examine further is why some people are more susceptible to developing diabetes than others."

He added that, "We used the 600-calorie diet to test a hypothesis. What I can tell you definitively is that if people lose substantial weight by normal means, they will lose their diabetes."

An estimated 25 million Americans have Type 2 diabetes, in which the body does not respond properly to insulin produced by the pancreas. Experts recommend that patients consult with a doctor before attempting such an extreme diet.
British researchers develop "cure" for Type 2 diabetes-258.jpg 

Old 06-27-2011, 09:34 AM  
fustrated genius

I was diagnosed with type II diabetes and underwent self treatment which included a simular diet and vigorous excercise program and kicked it's butt too!!!

Old 06-28-2011, 10:47 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHood View Post
I was diagnosed with type II diabetes and underwent self treatment which included a simular diet and vigorous excercise program and kicked it's butt too!!!
I knew diet could arrest the development of diabetes 25 years ago but nothing this clearly defined as a cure.

I suspect few will muster your discipline and the disease will proceed largely unchanged.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:22 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
That's not starving yourself. That's enough food to make starving people envy you and wonder why you're talking about starving yourself.

It's good to know though. I'm sure I'm susceptible.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:10 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
That's not starving yourself.
I agree. Dieting does not mean going hungry.

combinations of these things for meals will knock off pounds without hunger.

No Fat Plain yogurt;
mix with cut up fruit or unsweetened applesauce, sprinkle on a dusting of cinnamon.

dinner or lunch of veggies from a grocery salad bar. Use lemon juice instead of oil.

breakfast, lunch or dinner of fruit salad from a grocery salad bar.

low fat cottage cheese plain.

Before my metabolism slowed from age I could eat these foods and lose a pound a day with moderate exercise.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Health / Exercise
Bookmark this Page!