Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Health / Exercise
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2011, 03:18 PM  

building muscle

what's the best gym training to gain muscle? I know protein drinks help but I really don't know where to start workout wise (what machines to use, how long to do reps, etc.) Any comments would be helpful, thanks!

Old 03-29-2011, 07:38 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Slow and steady. That's how I do it. No real machine use on my end, just free weights.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:10 PM  
mbj
I is the laws

Martinsburg, West Virginia
agreed as far as go with iron over machines ... full body stuff like squats, deadlifts, etc are great for building muscle, far better than isolation moves like curls. I started crossfit a couple of weeks ago and I'm a big fan, but if you are new to lifting etc, it's going to take a lot of work and a lot of scaling to get into it. Fortunately there is a site that automatically scales the wod (workout of the day) for you.

main site - http://www.crossfit.com/

forum where the wod's are scaled - http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index..../viewforum/16/
Old 04-17-2011, 01:42 AM  
Looks at dirty Jeep pics

Tucson, Arizona
3-day split. Chest/tris, back/bis, legs/abs. Squats, deadlift, dumbbell bench (straight bar is not good for stabilizers, but is good for ripping rotator cuffs - ouch!), with some olympic and millitary lifts to change it up and shock. Heavy core workouts, no machines. Cardio and bodyweight core exercise on off-days, but make sure you get a rest day or 2 for repair. Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, dinner like a pauper - no carbs or caffeine after 4pm. Get your healthy snacks in between to keep your metabolism going. 1.5-2 grams protein per lb of body weight. Whole foods blow away supplements, but by all means - supplement your intake. Lots of water and stay away from simple carbs and high fructose corn syrup. Get your omega 3's and BCAA (branch chain amino acids), and clean protein. Work in a cheat day and eat whatever you want sensibly - good for sanity and homeostasis.

This is how I went from #120 to #180 lean. Your results may vary. Listen to your body, and take care of your mind as well.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:42 AM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
It's going to be whatever works for you - every single person is different. Three things I'd recommend are:

1) Like those guys said, free weights over machines all day. Machines take out the very important part of having to stabilize the weight yourself, which is a huge portion of a workout.

2) Keep your body guessing. If you keep doing the same exercises over and over, your body will get used to it, and you won't get as much impact.

3) FORM FORM FORM. I start every bench press with 5-10 presses with NO WEIGHT, just to focus on form. I had shoulder reconstructive surgery in November at 23 years old because I used to be a junior powerlifter and was too concerned with throwing up big weight when I should've been concerned with form. I had to take a year off of lifting and lost a large portion of the mass I had before. FORM!

Other than that, enjoy finding out what works for your body!

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Health / Exercise
Bookmark this Page!