Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Health / Exercise
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-20-2011, 12:36 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
I beg to differ

Quote:
By Peggy Orenstein
April 19, 2011
Last week, a federal judge stopped a Pennsylvania school from suspending two girls from school for wearing breast cancer fundraising bracelets that proclaimed "I ♥ Boobies!" with a nod to their 1st Amendment rights.

Well, score one for free speech.

And zero for breast cancer.

Those ubiquitous rubber bracelets are part of a new trend: sexy breast cancer. There is "Save the Ta-Tas." "Save 2nd Base." "Project Boobies." "Feel Your Boobies." "Jingle Jugs." And, of course, "I ♥ Boobies" itself.

These campaigns aim to bring a fresh, irreverent approach to the youth market, but beyond that, their agenda is, at best, mushy. There is "breast cancer awareness" of course, but given that each October everything from toilet paper to buckets of fried chicken to the chin straps of NFL players look as if they have been steeped in Pepto-Bismol, I think that goal has long since been met.

Sexy breast cancer groups say they promote (with a wink and a naughty nudge) the importance of breast self-exam for young women. Sounds good, right? Yet experts no longer recommend self-exam for anyone, let alone high school girls. The unfortunate truth is that even when scrupulously performed, self-exams neither detect cancers earlier than they would be found otherwise nor offer any survival benefit. So where's the "awareness" in spreading that misinformation? The only "♥s" involved are those of women who have or have had cancer, women like me, and our hearts break at the thought of millions of dollars wasted.
I ❤ Boobies bracelets: If you really ❤ Boobies ? - latimes.com

Bull Puckies!

The intention is to raise awareness If these teens gain such awareness early they can practice it during thei adult lives. I really think this is more a puritanical knee-jerk reaction to I Love Boobies!

I believe anything that effectively gets this message out there serves the real needs of women young or old.
I beg to differ-b2j.jpg 

I beg to differ-boobiesj.jpg 

Old 04-20-2011, 02:10 PM  
Lonely HUMMER Guy

I love boobies!

Old 04-20-2011, 03:34 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
As do we all and it's not just young women who can identufy with "SAVE THE BOOBIES!"
Old 04-20-2011, 05:47 PM  
fustrated genius

whoa whoa whoa, what's wrong with boobies? where's the pics!?!?! (I guess that would be on my OTHER fav website,wouldn't it?)
Old 04-20-2011, 06:28 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
you have all the jeep pron you'll ever need and jeeps won't PO the wife.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:55 PM  

Shuswap, BC
The car wash sign girls need pics facing the camera!!!!
Old 04-26-2011, 04:43 PM  
running around

Syracuse, NY
BLUE FOOTED BOOBIES!

I think it is overdone and most of the money does not go to funding. That said, I still rock my "Save the Ta-Ta's" hoodie and my "save second base" tee I got the other day.

I think it makes you think about it for a second, but doesn't necessarily raise awareness. I don't see an issue, just think more money should go to the charities.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:54 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
I am definitely getting a "Save 2nd base" tshirt.

Quote:
I think it makes you think about it for a second, but doesn't necessarily raise awareness.
To even get that moment of thought can help. Messages compete with video games, American Idol and puberty so a moment of reflection helps.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:43 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
I'm all for anything that helps raise awareness, even if only a little.
As for charities, I think a lot of them need to pass on a much larger portion of the money they collect.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:15 PM  

Shuswap, BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by riponredtj View Post
i'm all for anything that helps raise awareness, even if only a little.
As for charities, i think a lot of them need to pass on a much larger portion of the money they collect.
amen.....................................

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Health / Exercise
Bookmark this Page!

» Recent Threads