Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Health / Exercise
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2011, 01:06 PM  
What page are you on?

in a van... down by the river, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
I've developed a slew of odd allergies in recent years so I do pay attention the day I get anything new. I recall two guys who had allergies to eggs that were used in culturing vaccines and reacted to even that.

There are enough old farts here to recall the diseases of our childhoods and they weren't fun. Brit is correct about problems with gardisil but the odds are better with vaccines than without.
Or you could teach your children safe, responsible sex practices. "abstinence" isn't going to cut it.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:28 PM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britney View Post
Or you could teach your children safe, responsible sex practices. "abstinence" isn't going to cut it.
You mean practicing abstinence doesn't work?

Old 07-25-2011, 01:33 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
No one to teach, my vasectomy saved me that speech. Measles has broken out in Mexico carried there from Europe.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:17 PM  
What page are you on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
You mean practicing abstinence doesn't work?
No. Abstinence doesn't work. Kids are not abstaining and if we are only teaching them to abstain, how the hell are they going to put a condom on correctly? Or at all? Gardasil is a crock
Old 07-25-2011, 05:28 PM  

Stafford, Virginia
Quote:
No. Abstinence doesn't work. Kids are not abstaining and if we are only teaching them to abstain, how the hell are they going to put a condom on correctly? Or at all? Gardasil is a crock
No one taught me how to do it? There are instruction on the wrapper. Well the last time I used one there was.

I have been telling my son since he was 3 that if he lets someone touch his winky it will turn black and fall off. So far it is working.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:19 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
I found it to be quite self explanitory. Perhaps there are some out there placing condoms on their big toe thinking it will work because their parents taught them abstinence.

Also, you say abstinence doesn't work. Abstinence DOES work with no doubt. What you are talking about is unsuccessful teaching of abstinence. Of course, if abstinence isn't actually PRACTICED it doesn't work. It is hard to teach when you have so many people, and media promoting premarital sex, and how sex is just a fun social thing and all kinds of other garbage!

Of course it won't work if you teach abstinence and then say "oh, but if you do decide to have sex here is how to not get pregnant!"

It's like telling your someone "Don't drink and drive but if you do, go down xxxxx road because there are never any cops and you should be okay." What message does that send?
Old 07-26-2011, 08:57 AM  
What page are you on?

There are directions in the package still. Pictures even for the reading impaired. D'oh!

Schools can teach abstinence all they want- it doesn't mean it's working. It's not. With an HPV rate over 80% for the WHOLE country, I think we should be teaching safe sex, not abstinence. You may think your little girl isn't out spreading her love around, but the truth is.... she is. So why not have her safe? "Oh, she had the gardasil shot, she's fine." Do you even know whats in that shot? Or any vaccination? I do. And I know that I will teach my daughter safe sex before turning to a shot any day of the week.

I think we should tell kids about all the horrible diseases out there. Show them pictures even. And then give them some condoms. Period.

Why do parents think sex ed is just the worst thing ever? I went to a christian academy where sex was a sin and they still taught safe sex. What gives? Do you want your child out effing around protected? Or out effing around catching diseases?
Old 07-26-2011, 09:22 AM  
ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɯnɹoɟ

VA
Quote:
It's like telling your someone "Don't drink and drive but if you do, go down xxxxx road because there are never any cops and you should be okay." What message does that send?
Most of the rest of your post I agreed with. This however...

I think is a bad analogy. I dont tell people not to drink and drive safely. I tell them to plan ahead. Same thing with protected sex. Spontaneous sex happens with kids all the time. Being prepared for when it does happen makes life so much easier.

Have you ever been shut down in the heat of the moment because you didnt have a condom? Yeah, it sucks... But not bad enough for kids to not do it 'just this once'. I say prepare them before they even have to make that decision.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:51 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporLung View Post
Most of the rest of your post I agreed with. This however...

I think is a bad analogy. I dont tell people not to drink and drive safely. I tell them to plan ahead. Same thing with protected sex. Spontaneous sex happens with kids all the time. Being prepared for when it does happen makes life so much easier.

Have you ever been shut down in the heat of the moment because you didnt have a condom? Yeah, it sucks... But not bad enough for kids to not do it 'just this once'. I say prepare them before they even have to make that decision.
My analogy was to represent parents trying to instill in their children that they should not have premarital sex, and then handing them a condom because "they are going to do it anyway" or "just in case."

So you are suggesting that they should throw in the towel and just tell them it is okay, OR tell them they shouldn't and hand them the condom (hence the analogy).

It is unfortunate that premarital sex (and even adulltery) is portrayed as "normal" and acceptable in the media. Much of our trouble stems from this.

Oh, and don't forget the so many adults setting "good" examples by having so many children out of wedlock and such....

Call me hopelessly old fashioned or whatever.... I just believe that the breakdown in the family is to blame for much of the trouble in this country and the breakdown in the family seems to have been caused by the percieved normalcy of "casual" sex. Promoting condoms promotes casual sex (at least encourages it).
Old 07-26-2011, 11:27 AM  
What page are you on?

Quote:

Oh, and don't forget the so many adults setting "good" examples by having so many children out of wedlock and such....

Call me hopelessly old fashioned or whatever.... I just believe that the breakdown in the family is to blame for much of the trouble in this country and the breakdown in the family seems to have been caused by the percieved normalcy of "casual" sex. Promoting condoms promotes casual sex (at least encourages it).
I have a child out of wedlock. Am I not setting a fantastic example for my daughter? What if I don't believe in marriage? Marriage is the real joke nowadays.

Well, while your daughter is out getting pregnant and syphilis, mine will have knowledge and a condom. jussayin'.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Health / Exercise
Bookmark this Page!